Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamekaashton
Level 7

Resolution not supported. Change resolution of the external device

I have had my roku device for almost  a month. Just yesterday my TV stopped recognizing it. For some reason my TV is saying  the resolution of roku device is not supported and that I need to change to resolution to the external device. However I can't do that if Roku won't open up on my TV. I have tried the reset button and that does nothing. I am pretty annoyed because it doesn't seem to be a way to fix this and I have wasted my money on this device. There is no one to talk to in customer service due to covid so now I'm stuck and no pleased at all.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Resolution not supported. Change resolution of the external device

Is it a stick or a console (little box)?  Does the light on the device flash when you press a button on the remote?  Do you hear a sound when you press a button on the remote?

Assuming you can still control it, you can try blindly changing the resolution:

1. Press Home on the remote 3 or 4 times
  2. Press Up, Right, and then Down 3 times
  3. Press Right, Down, and then OK

That should change the resolution to something else.  Assuming it was set to "Auto detect" that should set it to 720p and hopefully display something on your TV.  Once you get something to display you can try the other resolutions.

If you still can't get any display try a different HDMI input on your TV and/or a different HDMI cable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos