Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LER555
Level 7

Repeating menu, favorites, guide and more questions?

Hi, brand new user here.  Premiere+ right out of the box brand new.  NOT a Roku TV.
So I've got it hooked up.  First impressions are that I love it. Love love love it.

- However, I DON"T love the repeating menu continuous scroll.  Is there any way to disable that?
- Also, is it possible to add favorite shows or favorite channels?   A one-touch favorites button?   A "last" button?  I did figure out how to move the channels to the top of the menu so that's good.
- Recently watched?  Save shows in progress and go back to them?  
- Grid guide?
- It seems like the quality is kind of fuzzy although it's set to 1080p.  It's not the greatest TV but it's a bit better through Spectrum cable (apart from the streaming app).   I've set everything I know to set.  Also seeing some color banding.  
- I'm also sort of irritated that I bought it new in the box at Walmart, with the security apparatus on it and all (had to snip off the black string), but someone else's email was on it.   I factory-reset it.   Is there any security issue I need to be worried about?
Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Repeating menu, favorites, guide and more questions?

It sounds like most of your questions are specific to a particular channel, but you didn't state what channel you're using. 
-I have no idea what menu is scrolling continuously. 
-There is no Favorites function or button. 
-Since the Roku user interface doesn't know what you've watched within specific channels, it has no way to show recently watched or allowing to resume watching. It is possible within specific channels, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. 
-Streaming video quality is dependent on two things, your Internet download speed, and the quality that it's being streamed at in the first place. Streaming from a source like YouTube, the video resolution and quality can be all over the place. Not the fault of the Roku. When i watch something HD quality from Amazon or my home media server, it's perfectly sharp.
-Grid guide in reference to what? That sounds like something specific to the channel you're watching. 
-Color banding is usually because of a framerate mismatch between the original material and what the Roku is sending to the display. There is a menu option that enables framerate matching, but it's non-functional at the moment with Netflix.
-If you had to go through the initial setup when you powered it up the first time, then the box should have been reset to factory default (if it had ever been powered up previously) and it would be fine. If it went straight to the Roku home screen, without any setup steps, I would do a factory reset from the system menu, just to be sure. But it sounds like it might have been prepped for shipping somewhere else and then shipped to you instead. How was their "email on it"?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
LER555
Level 7

Thank you. 
I've just been exploring all of it, so different channels.   Not in Netflix or anything.  We haven't tried out the streaming services yet - Hulu, Vudu etc.  Just random free channels, and the Spectrum app (which does have a grid guide) - since we are current customers.  Trying to cut the cord although may get the Choice package.   Still it's hard when you're used to certain things, like the "last" button, favorites, and the info button.  

The scrolling menu is the one on the main menu screens.  Like for instance the home screen.  The menu on the left just keeps repeating when you arrow down.  Same with most of the menu screens, where you are choosing anything, whether programming or roku menu selections.  For programming, it will say, for example, 1 of 14, then it will start over.   It's just annoying.  

For favorites, I tried following shows, but only one has shown up in "my feed".  It's supposed to be MY feed.  But it's just a random list of programs.

The streaming was actually in the Spectrum app which should be pretty good quality. I did check the settings and reset the display to 1080p from 720.  I have a good understanding of issues related to this so should be able to troubleshoot this pretty well.   Just was noting initial observations.   It's still not where I want it to be, but it's better.

As for the email that was on it, I discovered it on the "about" screen in settings.  I had initially hooked it up and it didn't go into setup.  I had a previous Roku account, so I went in, checked the network, and tried to go through what startup settings I could in the menu and with the pairing button on the remote.  However, it kept asking me for a pin when going into certain free content (in this case Hoarders, on the "free featured" screen.  Changing and even disabling the pin in my account on my mac did nothing.  Finally found that email and thought 'that's odd.' Did an email search and it came out to someone who lives in the same (small) city, which means it's likely she returned it to Walmart and they repackaged and resold it. I did a factory reset from the systems menu and just wanted to confirm there isn't some underlying security issue to be addressed.   

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"LER555" wrote:
Thank you. 
I've just been exploring all of it, so different channels.   Not in Netflix or anything.  We haven't tried out the streaming services yet - Hulu, Vudu etc.  Just random free channels, and the Spectrum app (which does have a grid guide) - since we are current customers.  Trying to cut the cord although may get the Choice package.   Still it's hard when you're used to certain things, like the "last" button, favorites, and the info button.  

The scrolling menu is the one on the main menu screens.  Like for instance the home screen.  The menu on the left just keeps repeating when you arrow down.  Same with most of the menu screens, where you are choosing anything, whether programming or roku menu selections.  For programming, it will say, for example, 1 of 14, then it will start over.   It's just annoying.  

For favorites, I tried following shows, but only one has shown up in "my feed".  It's supposed to be MY feed.  But it's just a random list of programs.

The streaming was actually in the Spectrum app which should be pretty good quality. I did check the settings and reset the display to 1080p from 720.  I have a good understanding of issues related to this so should be able to troubleshoot this pretty well.   Just was noting initial observations.   It's still not where I want it to be, but it's better.

As for the email that was on it, I discovered it on the "about" screen in settings.  I had initially hooked it up and it didn't go into setup.  I had a previous Roku account, so I went in, checked the network, and tried to go through what startup settings I could in the menu and with the pairing button on the remote.  However, it kept asking me for a pin when going into certain free content (in this case Hoarders, on the "free featured" screen.  Changing and even disabling the pin in my account on my mac did nothing.  Finally found that email and thought 'that's odd.' Did an email search and it came out to someone who lives in the same (small) city, which means it's likely she returned it to Walmart and they repackaged and resold it. I did a factory reset from the systems menu and just wanted to confirm there isn't some underlying security issue to be addressed.   

No, the factory reset will clear all of the old stuff out. You're fine. 
I have a Blu Ray player that doesn't scroll back to the top when you reach the bottom, and I hate it. So I guess that's a user preference. The Roku and my Shield both will. But consider a large list, and you know the item you want is towards the bottom. On my BD player, say I want to get the the letter S in my alphabetical list. On the Sony, I have to start at the top and go all the way down. On the Roku, I can just go up, and reach S rapidly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos