Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onepcwhiz
Level 7

Repeatedly asking to Format Internal Micro-SD Card

It seemed to work okay for a few months, but I now repeatedly get a message that the card needs to be formatted to work.

Is this a problem for anyone else?

I gave up on it and just let it reload channels it doesn't have room for.

Thanks in Advance.

Kris

P.S. I have a Roku Ultra 4660 with the latest FW.

Roku Ultra 4660
Roku XDS (2100)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Repeatedly asking to Format Internal Micro-USB Card

"onepcwhiz" wrote:
It seemed to work okay for a few months, but I now repeatedly get a message that the card needs to be formatted to work.

Thanks in Advance.

Kris

The latest firmware could be 8.1 or 9.0 depending on where you are in the rollout schedule. So, "latest" is never helpful. An exact version is.

As for the microSD card, no I'm not experiencing the issue on my 9.0 Roku Ultra. If you are using a different Roku, letting us know which one it is might be helpful, as the Utra 4660/4661, the Ultra 4640, Premiere+ 4630, Roku 4 4400, Roku 3 4230/4200, Roku 2 4210, and others support the microSD card.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 7

"onepcwhiz" wrote:

Thanks in Advance.

Kris

this issue may be an indication the microsd card is dead or almost dead. the only way to be sure it isn't is to format it on your PC or a PC with a tool you can get here SD Memory Card Formatter if you can't click this link copy this line below to your address bar
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
if the card is still good this tool will fix it
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I'd try a new sd card as well.. make sure it's a Roku-compatible one, as Roku boxes and some SD cards don't get along. There's old threads here about which cards work best. When in doubt, just buy one direct from Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
wyldemusick
Level 7

I’ve run into this myself. If it’s a harbinger of a card going south or incompatibility, I’ll just get a new card, I guess. I’m planning to give this Roku 4 to a friend, mind you, so it might not even need a card in the finish unless she adds channels en masse.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"wyldemusick" wrote:
I’ve run into this myself. If it’s a harbinger of a card going south or incompatibility, I’ll just get a new card, I guess. I’m planning to give this Roku 4 to a friend, mind you, so it might not even need a card in the finish unless she adds channels en masse.

An SD card is never a requirement. If you install more channels than the Roku has space for, it just offloads the least used one to free up space. If you again use the offloaded channel, it again offloads something else and loads that one back on. Takes a little more time to load a channel not used frequently, but it doesn't stop anything from working. I've never used an CD card and never had an issue, but then I only have about 40 channels total, and some I rarely touch. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos