Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Offensive Ads on Roku Home Screen

Jump to solution

How can I remove offensive ads (like Borat) off of my roku home screen?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Removing Offensive Ads on Roku Home Screen

Jump to solution

Greetings, Community users!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and we'd be more than happy to look closely into this matter and find you the best resolution possible. 

If you are to see any offensive ads or any other inappropriate ads, could you please let us know in which specific channel this was being prompted?

In the meantime, if this is prompted on your Home screen, we suggest referring to our support article on How to Hide Ads and providing us with a photo of the specific ad.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You don't like the message Borat sends in his movie? Or is there nudity or curse words on the main screen ad?

If you just don't LIKE the ad, that's different than the ad being offensive.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
TMack84

Jump to solution

@jeffrok wrote:

You don't like the message Borat sends in his movie? Or is there nudity or curse words on the main screen ad?

If you just don't LIKE the ad, that's different than the ad being offensive.

This isn’t helpful. How about if I have little kids, and don’t want a horror movie ad (latest one is a woman’s face from the nose down, with a knife blade running against her bleeding cheek) on the screen to give them nightmares or mess with their minds? Surely there is a parental control to make sure ads like this don’t show on devices that are meant to be in a child’s room?

A simple answer of yes or no would suffice, rather than telling someone about whether something is offensive or not.

jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You're the one who gave a specific example, not me. Sheesh. Then NO. There.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
AsifS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes can someone from Roku help with this?  I understand ads in your preferred channels you have added when you access them.  The channels will be appropriate to those that can access it.  News channels to adults and children's content on Disney etc.  But the home screen carries ads like sexual content, women in bikinis with sexual implied situations in a poster, or like the original poster of this thread said, some blood lust implied horror or violence, the whole family should NOT be default exposed to stuff like that flashed on half the screen when you are trying to access your kids streaming channels.  That's just wrong and inappropriate to force that on everyone.  Roku needs to do something about allowing users to turn that off

GSFry
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes that’s right I hope Roku will at least give the user the option to NOT to see R-rated movie advertising on it’s Home Page! 

Right now on the Home Page there’s a very seductive picture for the movie “Promising Young Woman” on Prime Video. It says Rated-R at the bottom.

Grandma, Grandpa and young children should not have to see this! PLEASE!

AsifS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have gone back and forth with their support team, and all they say is for me to go contact every advertiser on their platform and request they not push such stuff on my specific tv, because they don't determine what ads get posted.  What on earth is that for a solution? I asked them to tell me how to turn it off, if they don't take any responsibility for the content, which they should regardless.  I think this is seriously below and consumer standards. Can someone write a complaint about this to a tech journalist around the ethics of this.  This is just absurd and totally unacceptable that they just renege on their responsibilities here or expect that they cab push this without controls.  Or something in consumer reports against this?  What are our strategies here, because something must be done.  The community pages have this same issue peppered in different threads and there is no concern coming from Roku and unfortunately they need to understand how serious an issue this is and get kicked into addressing it asap

HappyHippo

Jump to solution

"Can someone write a complaint about this to a tech journalist around the ethics of this."

Great suggestion. The question is: why don't you do that?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku could easily deal with this by either offering User Profiles (per device, including Kids profiles) or a Kids Mode setting (per device), for which ads would be limited/restricted for Kids profiles/Mode.

These complaints/requests go back many years, and Roku should have implemented this by the time OS10 rolled around, especially considering that other platforms (FireTV, Android TV) have implemented device multiuser/kids profiles for a year or three.

This was a big opportunity and miss with OS10.

giraffe50

Jump to solution

I also wish Roku devices had a way to do this natively. Especially in October when Halloween is coming, lots of horror movie ads which small children absolutely should not see. 

I followed these instructions and was able to block about 90% of the ads...

https://www.serveroperations.net/utilities/block-roku-home-screen-ads