Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dmsxo
Reel Rookie

Remote not working

I’ve had my Roku premier+ for about 6 months now, suddenly the remote has decided to stop working. I have just moved and needed to set up the internet on it. I have the app, however regardless I need the remote to change the wifi credentials. So I can’t do anything with the Roku box I bought not too long ago 🥴

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote not working

As you figured out, the roku device and the app have to be on same network.  (since you cant set up roku network settings, app cant find the roku device).

The annoying customer service representative question here.... Is the remote really broken or does it just need fresh batteries and re-pairing to the Premiere?  (that little button in the battery compartment) Sometimes my roku remotes become unresponsive and I have to rotate the batteries and give the remote some "gentle taps" to get it working again.

Otherwise, sounds like new remote is needed, unfortunately.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Dmsxo
Reel Rookie

I’ve tried new batteries resetting nothing works. I can’t even get ahold of a customer service rep to see if a replacement can be sent out I just get shoved into these forums as “it doesn’t qualify for support” 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Roku is pretty good with their warranties, but honestly it is far easier/quicker and less of a headache to just take care of problems yourself.  I would go to walmart or best buy and buy a replacement roku remote (about $20 for the enhanced ones).  Just check online and check if in stock as I have physically seen them on the shelves.  They also sell universal streaming remotes compatible with roku (although I think Roku has to be setup first before they work...thereby still needing a roku remote..but dont quote me on that.) 

I have a couple universal remotes I use for the Roku (Premiere in particular RCA universal) but I know I had all the rokus working before I added them.

Again, i would buy the enhanced remote replacement from the store (or even craigslist/amazon, etc), get my roku working again, and then chase after the warranty replacement if so desired.  Ihave seen them between 10 and 30 dollars.  Look around for a mod named Danny in forum, he seems to handle the remote control probs by accepting PMs(private messages).  I think he may be the one to go to for replacements.

Roku is very good for streaming needs...Customer support not as much which pains me to say since i have used them for very long time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dmsxo

Thanks for your post.

Please try to remove and reinsert the batteries to see if this helps resolve the issue. Check the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running! http://go.roku.com/remotehelp.

Let us know if that helped solve the issue.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
advisor81

How do replace a remote that stopped working?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @advisor81

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried running the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running? http://go.roku.com/remotehelp

You can also purchase a new Roku replacement remote that is compatible with your Roku device: https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes 

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos