Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamCruick

Remote issues after 10.0.0 update

I have 4 Roku's total in my house. After the recent (April 15) update to 10.0.0 I'm now having to pair remotes or unplug and plug in unit to get remote to work on all units..The only common denominator is the update. I've tried re-pairing each remote, but once dormant for a while the remote fails to work...very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote issues after 10.0.0 update

@AdamCruick wrote:

I have 4 Roku's total in my house. After the recent (April 15) update to 10.0.0 I'm now having to pair remotes or unplug and plug in unit to get remote to work on all units..The only common denominator is the update. I've tried re-pairing each remote, but once dormant for a while the remote fails to work...very frustrating. 

I have only received the update on one of my Roku devices, and I've had no issues with it.

It may be helpful to share the model numbers of the devices impacted: Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AdamCruick

The units are 2 Roku Premier + 4630X , and 2 Roku Ultra 4640X. I just noticed one of the Ultras hasn't updated yet but the remote is still not functioning without resetting the unit. This is a brand new issue as these units are used daily.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@AdamCruick wrote:

The units are 2 Roku Premier + 4630X , and 2 Roku Ultra 4640X. I just noticed one of the Ultras hasn't updated yet but the remote is still not functioning without resetting the unit. This is a brand new issue as these units are used daily.

That now indicates it's probably not the OS update, as one of the Ultra (4640) is sill running 9.4.x

So, what can be the cause?

Well, I've looked over the forums for a similar issue with the 4640, but haven't had any luck. I seem to recall that model, which is the original Ultra, had some issues of some kind that were not present with later models, including my 4660 Ultra.

What I'm mentioning next is mostly for long-time users who frequent the support forum, hoping this might trigger something. Your model, the 4640 Ultra, has the optical output. A lot of people were ticked off about Roku removing it from the 4660 and later models, but were complaining about other issues with the 4640 that the 4660 didn't have. I don't recall if it was remote related, but as I said, perhaps some of the long-time users here will remember and be able to offer something more concrete.

About your 4630 Premiere+ ... for all practical purposes, it's a 4640 with the optical port and USB port removed. Other than that, they are pretty much the same device, and came out at the same time (even release the very same day, I think).

I mention that because I suspect that the cause is something common (which you reasonably thought was the OS, but now know that isn't the case). Despite the different features and model numbers, those devices are really the same things, with minor exceptions. Both support microSD cards, for instance.

Come to think of it, remove the microSD cards if you are using them and see if that makes a difference. Those were also source of issues on that generation devices.

In the meantime, have you replaced the batteries in all of the remotes?

If I was encountering this issue with those devices, I'd go to one of the 10.0 devices, remove it from my account (https://my.roku.com/), and do a full factory reset. While the device is rebooting, I'd replace the batteries in the remote, then set it up brand new and see what happens. If it fixes the issue, do that with all of the 10.0 devices and hold off on the 9.4.x device until last. Even then, I'd not reset it if the others work, and I gave it a day or two to see if the issue continued on it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos