Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandroo
Level 7

Release 9.1 killed my Roku. SOLVED

Found Sony TV hdmi input settings for “enhanced 4K” turned off. Turning on “enhanced 4K “ for these rebooted Android on the TV, and Roku picture/sound returned. Thank you Community members for suggestions leading to this solution.

“The new 9.1 release hit my Roku Ultra and both picture and sound through my AVR disappeared. Gone. Dead. Testing found the Roku works fine if directly connected by HDMI to the TV. That’s how I discovered it’s been updated to system 9.1. No settings changed on my AVR (I checked), it’s mapped exactly as before, it’s set up exactly as it was when the Roku worked.”

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Re: Release 9.1 killed my Roku. No help from Support

Not enough information here.

• What AVR (make/specific model)? 

• Tried different port on AVR? 

• Reset (briefly change settings and then change back) AVR? 

• Completely power off AVR so it's not in standby but absolutely completely off (pull the plug) and then power back on? 

• Different port on TV from AVR as a test? 

• Reset TV's settings (briefly change settings and then change back) re: ARC/deep color? 

• Use a different HDMI cable?

• Completely power off (plug) Roku Ultra and reconnect?

It does sound like an ARC issue since you're not getting video nor sound via the AVR, but the steps above should prove useful if for nothing else to rule them out. Obviously, 9.1 hasn't killed the pic/sound of everyone who has an AVR in the mix. 
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

He's been posting here about his/her issue: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=153006.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"trekkeriii" wrote:
He's been posting here about his/her issue: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=153006.

Ok, well, it's not helpful to create what's tantamount to a duplicate thread. Sounds more like a rant, then.

Looks like he/she was using optical with transcoding in this system before, unless something's changed. Not sure why, though - both the TV and the AVR can easily handle DD+.  See here:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=116513&start=150
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

@heyitsrick thank you for these testing suggestions, problem SOLVED. Although these tests (power cycle, different hdmi input, etc) had no impact, the process of testing helped my find the “enhanced 4K hdmi” input setting was off on the Sony TV for the hdmi inputs used with the AVR. Resetting these to “on” rebooted Android, and audio/video was restored through the AVR.

Apologies for new thread, and obvious frustration. No solution and radio silence to the original post wasn’t helping. I appreciate the Community, and I’m grateful how starting a new strand led to you. I will edit my original post to reduce snark.

This is the second time since purchasing the Ultra that it was rendered non-functional after a system update. Last year when it was fairly new, I returned it for a new one to no avail. It turned out to be a D+ problem, uncovered in the Community. In all, I’ve had about 3 weeks of non functionality and hours of testing and community time over a year of ownership to keep it working. I honestly can’t recommend Roku to friends and family. In my experience, Roku has proven to be unreliable and without adequate support. I still have a support case number, with no response.

Best wishes to fellow users.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Re: Release 9.1 killed my Roku. SOLVED

Great...happy streaming. While not desirable, at least you'll know in the future the steps you had to go through to restore audio/video if this happens again.
0 Kudos