Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Perico
Level 8

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution

I have tried numerous times to set the bitrate to avail, this suggestion does not work since the device defaults to Automatic when the bitrate screen is exited.  Any other ideas?

Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Perico wrote:

I have tried numerous times to set the bitrate to avail, this suggestion does not work since the device defaults to Automatic when the bitrate screen is exited.  Any other ideas?

The bitrate setting in the hidden menu does not work with any streaming provider that uses adaptive streaming, which is almost all of them. that's why that function no longer has any value. Roku has no official method of controlling a bitrate, and I know of no other streaming device that offers such a function. The only practical way to make it work is to use a router that has the ability to control bitrates, either globally or per connected device. I've never researched such routers, but I know they exist. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
rbohl
Level 8

Jump to solution

How about a feature request?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/Requesting-a-supported-tool-for-limiting-bandwidth/m...

Vote early and often!

Some of us are rural and have our wifi only via mobile hotspot.  A router setting is not an option for me, and, as an IT professional, I have a good understanding that many users will NOT go tinkering with their router settings, whether the rest of us think it's trivial or not. I need the control on my streaming device. I'm sure others would appreciate the functionality of a shiny UI for this at the Roku as well, whether they could go into their router settings or not.

Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

@rbohl 

This string is a bit dated. I believe updates have eliminated the issue for the most part.

Many of us here are connected with IT. I'd be interested in knowing where exactly the net

is unavailable.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rbohl
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, @boogernose . Curious what you mean by "I believe updates have eliminated this issue"? My Roku manual bitrate setting does not persist.

I'm in South Jersey, just 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

Those "hidden" settings have been deprecated. They have never been known to work.

Try to reduce your resolution to 720p. Settings/ Display type>>

The Internet certainly is available in your area.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rbohl
Level 8

Jump to solution

Right you are, the hidden settings appear to have been deprecated. This is exactly why I have created a feature request. I came here to link it so that future users that arrive via search engine can find the relevant threads.

Good call on adjusting the display settings as a possible workaround. I'll have to test that.

I am not sure why you are telling me "The Internet is certainly available in your area"? In fact, that's how I am communicating with you this very moment. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

You stated

"Some of us are rural and have our wifi only via mobile hotspot. 
A router setting is not an option for me, and, as an IT professional,
I have a good understanding that many users will NOT go tinkering with
their router settings,"

South Jersey is well covered by Internet providers. Router settings are not difficult especially for someone with IT experience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rbohl
Level 8

Jump to solution

True, a mile in both directions and Comcast has coverage. Lot of good that does me where Verizon won't even let me on the DSL network (not that I'd really want to be on it). Satellite is not a viable option, had it for two years. But all that's absolutely beside the point. The point is that there are users who would like to set the limits on streaming bitrate at the Roku level, and that the technology could allow it. Cap that off with the fact that Roku would like to make customers happy since it helps their bottom line, and we have a feature request. I am not complaining about Roku. I'm simply asking for a feature. 

You sound a bit perturbed for some reason, but perhaps that's the old problem of how things come across on the internet. Unless there's more constructive discussion to be had, I'll be leaving this thread. I'll just link the feature request once more with hopes that people who've come across this thread searching for info on the old bitrate screen will also find the feature request and upvote it. Have a nice day and thanks for the screen resolution suggestion, @boogernose 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/Requesting-a-supported-tool-for-limiting-bandwidth/t...

0 Kudos