Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution

I'll give that a go. The buffering and crashing becomes tiresome. Happens to me a lot with Sling.

So 720 in the Roku settings exclusively.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mdmm55
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried 6 times on remote of Roku Ultra 4660..I acted upon your advice. 
On my Remote I press,
The Home button five times.
The Rewind button three times.
And finally, the Fast Forward button two times.
Press these buttons in order and you’ll be taken to the “Bit Rate Override” screen, a hidden panel that lets you set bandwidth limits on your Roku""""
I tried 5 times but I did not see that option to adjust Bandwidth.Please help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

Home screen to Settings/Display Type/>

Thats all there is to it on mine.

Bit rate is not the same as bandwidth. I'm pretty sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@mdmm55 wrote:

I tried 6 times on remote of Roku Ultra 4660..I acted upon your advice. 
On my Remote I press,
The Home button five times.
The Rewind button three times.
And finally, the Fast Forward button two times.
Press these buttons in order and you’ll be taken to the “Bit Rate Override” screen, a hidden panel that lets you set bandwidth limits on your Roku""""
I tried 5 times but I did not see that option to adjust Bandwidth.Please help

Roku removed that hidden menu option months ago. For streaming sites that use adaptive streaming (and most all do now), it didn't work anyway. Anything you find on those hidden menus are unsupported and can be changed or removed at any time. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
mdmm55
Level 8

Jump to solution

boogernose

Sir,

Thank you very much for answer. As I said , after removing/deleting a few channels from Raku Ultra 4660, I see it working slow. Which mean some old registry and cache is creating problems.Kindly suggest any trick/update to solve this probem. Many other devices have some utilitity installed to clean registry and Cache, please,please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

Well I imagine if you removed the Channels through the roku app the way youre supposed to....Maybe a reboot just unplug it and count to 20 I would expect that should clear it.

You can also try Settings/System/System Restart

or Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset (I think this is a radical approach though)

Advanced System Settings is also where you can reset Net speed.

Incidentally the Roku Gods(Tanner) have marked a post as a solution if you go back to the very first posts and page.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mdmm55
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks.

Previous solution of setting bit rate in internet Router for Roku Ultra is best for me to solve buffering problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

I'd be interested in knowing if that works for you or anybody.

I would think occasional buffering is acceptable to some degree and is streaming source caused.

Since I set Roku to 720p its been tolerable.

Plus Menu volume off trick (forget why that was done exactly)

I send a lot of Bandwidth to my old Roku2 via ethernet and get occasional buffering and such.

But it doesnt bother me much. doesnt happen a whole lot.

Anyone with results from adjusting the Router?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. There are many factors that can contribute to buffering behavior while streaming. Available bandwidth from your ISP, your wireless network connection quality, the specific channel/service's content delivery systems or servers, peak usage times, etc. 

In general, we'd recommend starting here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router can often help improve your wireless connection and device performance by reducing wireless interference from nearby networks that may be using the same wireless broadcast channel. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the most commonly selected by default. Contact your ISP or wireless router manufacturer for more help making this type of adjustment. 

Also, former internal development options that may have been available in 'secret screens' are not functions that have ever been supported by use for consumers, and were purely for developmental purposes. The bitrate option you're referring to did not apply to all channels or use-cases, and was intended as a diagnostic tool for very specific use cases. If you are looking to limit streaming quality, this would either need to be in done in any specific channel or service's own settings, such as Netflix offers, or on your router by limiting the amount of bandwidth that is supplied to your Roku device. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer would need to assist you in making these types of adjustments. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Perico
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is not true. After a person has changed the bitrate and presses the Home button you exit that part of the menu.  Go back into that previous setting and you will see that the bitrate is again at Automatic and any changes made by the user were for nought. This trick/suggestion does not work; unless the writer left out other hidden steps that are not in this article.

0 Kudos