Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yanny
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
Turns out lowering the bitrate on my Roku device does NOT improve NBA League Pass channel performance - it still buffers very frequently and the buffering intervals can last longer than the intervening game action.  I lowered it as much as 1.2 MB and buffering still occurred throughout the game.  I guess the success I reported in this post when I watched another game was a fluke, maybe my internet connection was better than usual.

NBA League Pass (LP) live and archived games frequently buffer, sometimes every 10-30 seconds, and often the "loading" screen lasts longer than the game action it interrupts.  Very frustrating.  This has been true for several years, as long as I have subscribed to LP.  Maybe it is an LP channel/software issue because other ESPN and TNT Roku channels stream live basketball with minimal buffering.  The only other significant buffering on Roku is on some channels like NBC News there are sometimes extended loading and reloading interruptions during the ads.  For the LP problem I have done the usual troubleshooting - restarting Roku, removing and replacing LP, moving my Roku close to the router, trying a different router, turning off all other devices, connecting (an older) Roku with an ethernet cable, upgrading my Roku device...  Nothing worked.  Watching LP on a computer (MAC) also has frequent buffering, which again makes me wonder if it is an LP software issue.  Part of the problem is our slow DSL internet connection - 6 MB download maximum, and LP recommends a minimum of 12 MB.  LP has adaptive streaming but it does not seem to help.  So I manually changed the Roku bitrate from Automatic to 2.0 MB in the "hidden menu", per the directions in this article, and watched an archive game on LP and there was no buffering.  This is a dramatic change.  The picture quality is medium but watchable, whereas with the Automatic bitrate setting it changed from very good to pixelated.  Since my goal is to watch complete games without constant buffering, manually reducing the bitrate is the solution.  At least so far.  I will see how it goes and edit this post if buffering returns.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
I find the best solution is to have a router which can be used to set the max Mb/s for each device connected to it.  On my router it is called traffic manager.  I have the Roku set to 3.5 Mb/s, which allows for 720p content.  In order to find out which device was the roku, I shut the roku off, and checked the list of clients on my router.  I then turned the roku on, and saw which client was new.  Renamed it to roku on my router, and set the data cap. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
Any of the apps that use some form of adaptive bitrate and most other apps as well will not be impacted at all by any setting on the hidden screen. This includes NBA, NHL, ESPN, NetFlix, Prime Video, and most other professional apps.

In general any change in behavior you see after changing settings there is nothing more than coincidence.

The best way to assure solid streaming is to connect your Roku wired or, failing that, make absolutely sure that your Roku is connected to your wireless network on as interference free a channel as possible on your router. I recommend ch 11 in most cases.

Remember, for the most part, signal strength is NOT a good indicator of the quality of your streaming signal.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
Highlighted
PattyInPA
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
both my Roku Express Plus and my black Roku Streaming Stick.  However, today it will not hold the lower bit rate setting that I have selected.  So, I called Roku and that is how I found out about the change.  [/font][/color]
Here's my question:  Is anyone with one of the other Roku devices still able to manually change the bit rate setting?  If so, I will upgrade to a different Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chandabb
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
"PattyInPA" wrote:
both my Roku Express Plus and my black Roku Streaming Stick.  However, today it will not hold the lower bit rate setting that I have selected.  So, I called Roku and that is how I found out about the change.  [/font][/color]
Here's my question:  Is anyone with one of the other Roku devices still able to manually change the bit rate setting?  If so, I will upgrade to a different Roku.

Patty, thanks for posting this information...I noticed my bit rate was automatic (thought it was due to a recent power failure) and kept trying to set it back to the lower setting on my roku stick.  I even tried resetting my device to factory settings, then tried to search for a resolution to the problem...I don't understand why they won't allow us to override the automatic setting anymore.  Various apps won't let you change the bit rate and I don't want to use extra data when viewing at a lower bit rate works just fine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
"chandabb" wrote:
"PattyInPA" wrote:
both my Roku Express Plus and my black Roku Streaming Stick.  However, today it will not hold the lower bit rate setting that I have selected.  So, I called Roku and that is how I found out about the change.  [/font][/color]
Here's my question:  Is anyone with one of the other Roku devices still able to manually change the bit rate setting?  If so, I will upgrade to a different Roku.

Patty, thanks for posting this information...I noticed my bit rate was automatic (thought it was due to a recent power failure) and kept trying to set it back to the lower setting on my roku stick.  I even tried resetting my device to factory settings, then tried to search for a resolution to the problem...I don't understand why they won't allow us to override the automatic setting anymore.  Various apps won't let you change the bit rate and I don't want to use extra data when viewing at a lower bit rate works just fine.

It never worked anyways it only affected the older Roku coded channels and adaptive streams ignored the setting. It was actually a developer tool that is no longer served a purpose. So they removed it due to the original intent of that feature was no longer needed. Developers cannot test their streams using that feature.  It was serving as a placebo for those lowering it for data cap usage.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
vberger98
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
What?  The power went out here 3 days ago.  My Spectrum app has not worked properly since. It keeps buffering.  yesterday I changed the bitrate from automatic to 7.5.  Now the Spectrum app is working beautifully, except a few minutes ago   Is it just coincidence that I changed this setting and now I can finally watch TV on the Spectrum app?  According to this thread you cannot manually change the bitrate anymore.   Of course Spectrum said I had too many devices when some were turned off.   Spectrum always blames the customer I think.   I have a brand new TCL TV 43 inch.  Other apps like Netflix and HBO do not have this problem.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jmts51
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
Has anyone found a solution to this? I just got notice from my internet provider that I am almost over my data. I checked the tv and it was on automatic. I tried to reset again and it keeps going back to automatic. I am on a limited income and when I called Roku they just said to change my internet to unlimited data, I can't afford that! I thought I should reset tv but don't know if it will work or hel anything. Why are we limited in this setting? I can change streaming preference on Netflix online but not Hulu. What can I do??? Does anyone have anymore info???
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
"jmts51" wrote:
Has anyone found a solution to this? I just got notice from my internet provider that I am almost over my data. I checked the tv and it was on automatic. I tried to reset again and it keeps going back to automatic. I am on a limited income and when I called Roku they just said to change my internet to unlimited data, I can't afford that! I thought I should reset tv but don't know if it will work or hel anything. Why are we limited in this setting? I can change streaming preference on Netflix online but not Hulu. What can I do??? Does anyone have anymore info???

Change your screen resolution to 720p. The bitrate setting never affected Hulu or Netflix anyways. Either it's a bug (which you will need to wait until 9.2 to get it fixed) or it's a feature being sunset.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
Highlighted
jmts51
Level 7

Re: Reducing buffering by changing your Roku's bitrate

Jump to solution
how do I change my screen resolution and will that lower the streaming from my internet? I am not very smart with tech stuff. Thanks for your reponse. 
0 Kudos