Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beverly-3
Channel Surfer

Recent update not working on Roku app

On 7/25/2021, I made the mistake of updating the app as listed.(fix bugs) BIG MISTAKE!! It backfired created MORE bugs and problems. The app crashes and simply doesn't work now after several restore/reset tries. WHY⁉️‼️🤔🤨🤬

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recent update not working on Roku app

What app? The Roku app for mobile devices? If so, what platform? iOS? Android?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Beverly-3
Channel Surfer

Android 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Beverly-3 

I have the Roku app on both Android and iPhones in the household. While we don't use the app a lot, it always works when we do try to use it.

Can you explain the issue? What are you trying to do and what is going wrong?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
heyjude1of2
Reel Rookie

I too, just installed the Roku update after getting the prompt to update and now have nothing.  Roku starts to activate and then shuts down... I can not get anything. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@heyjude1of2

Thanks for the post.

Can you please explain the issue you are experiencing? If you are trying to activate your Roku device, you will need a physical remote, as the Roku mobile app will require your Roku device to be already connected to a wireless network.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
heyjude1of2
Reel Rookie

We have had the Roku for more than a year, it was activated long ago.  Last night: The message "Please check that your device has the latest update before launching Disney...follow these steps: Exit app. Navigate to Settings>System>System Update>Check now.  I did the update and chose 'install now.'  The Roku quit working.  After a half an hour of troubleshooting it finally loaded.  Went back to the above install update settings and it never finished the update...asked that we do the update again.  We went through this same routine for over an hour with the same result.  I tried to delete the Disney app in order to redownload and after completing the deletion, the app still comes up but with no delete option showing any longer and still will not work.  When the roku is trying to load it is sometimes pixelated.  Since buying the roku brand new we have always had to unplug, wait & plug back in in order to watch anything but after the initial unplugging of the device, it would then work properly for the evening.  This evening we have tried to download the update multiple times...with total failure in doing so as the roku shuts down and takes at least 10 to 15 minutes to get it to correctly activate again (meaning that we have to unplug it multiple times)  Just moments ago I tried to watch sling...same thing...'update your application' pops up and now we are back to square one.   

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@heyjude1of2

Thanks for the post.

When removing a channel, please make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back again. In regards to your latest software, what OS is your Roku device currently running? You can find this information in Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
heyjude1of2
Reel Rookie

The OS is 9.3.0 * build 4194-51.  I'm aware that it needs to be updated to 10 as multiple pop-ups continue to advise me to go to settings, system, system update.  The device will not update...I've tried numerous times.  It downloads & displays 100% and says that it is restarting but once the Roku tries to restart it fails and I get a black screen with no signal and have to unplug the Roku, wait a minute and plug back in.  After plugging it back in, after multiple tries, it finally turns on to the home screen.  The update is never successful.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@heyjude1of2 

What's the device? Model number can be found at Settings > System > About 

DBDukes

0 Kudos