Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku suddenly returns to home mid show

Jump to solution

I've seen this happen twice in the past week, and never prior to this week (today is 2/5/2020). I often listen to a show while I work, so I'm often not watching the screen, but I was watching a movie that had come on by itself after I finished watching what I had selected when I happened to glance up at the screen just in time to see a count-down timer show 1, 0, and suddenly the channel closed, leaving me no way of knowing how to return to finish the movie. I was upset, and wrote a complaint to the channel, thinking it was the channel's fault. However, today I was binging a show on Hulu as I worked, and I saw the same countdown timer appear. This time I was able to read the message and grab the remote to respond before the timer kicked me out. I have no idea why Roku is doing this, but it's a significant problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@dwlloyd810  Thanks for the note. I'd recommend disabling the 'Bandwidth saver' feature on your device to help prevent this behavior. You can locate this setting in Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver. 

Some channels do have their own feature to limit continuous streaming without a user confirming that they are still watching. If the message you are seeing is generated by the channel itself, you'd want to reach out to the channel provider to inquire further if they have an option to disable or turn that functionality off. 

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help answer. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@dwlloyd810  Thanks for the note. I'd recommend disabling the 'Bandwidth saver' feature on your device to help prevent this behavior. You can locate this setting in Settings>Network>Bandwidth saver. 

Some channels do have their own feature to limit continuous streaming without a user confirming that they are still watching. If the message you are seeing is generated by the channel itself, you'd want to reach out to the channel provider to inquire further if they have an option to disable or turn that functionality off. 

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help answer. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos