Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesl1221
Level 7

ROKU tv wake on lan no longer working

I've had a Roku TCL tv for about a year, and it's always had WOL support, and sending an http get /query/device-info still shows me it supports WOL, however it is no longer turning it on since about a month ago. So now, after a couple hours of no use when I use the Roku App it says the device may be in ECO mode, attempts to turn it on to no avail. So, I made my own WOL packet to send and it successfully sent the correct packet however the tv still does not turn on. 
In auto power settings, I have reduce power after 15 minutes and Turn Off after 4 hours. Fast TV start is off, as I don't need it since my device supports WOL. Note, I can physically turn on the tv and then the Roku app will connect, but the WOL functionality is the only thing no longer working.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: ROKU tv wake on lan no longer working

I would expect WOL to not work unless fast start is enabled. But it depends on exactly what is still powered up with the TV completely off. Something has to be running to accept the IR command to turn on, but it's possible that the network adapter isn't powered with the TV completely off. And of course, the developers might have done something in a recent firmware build to disable WOL but didn't remove the flag.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jamesl1221
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I would expect WOL to not work unless fast start is enabled. But it depends on exactly what is still powered up with the TV completely off. Something has to be running to accept the IR command to turn on, but it's possible that the network adapter isn't powered with the TV completely off. And of course, the developers might have done something in a recent firmware build to disable WOL but didn't remove the flag.  Smiley LOL

Thanks for the response, and you seem to be right as when I turn on my Roku after 10 minutes when fast start was off I watch it have to reconnect to wifi, however when fast start is on theres not even a need for wake on lan as it doesn't turn off and stays connected to the internet. I can just simply power without wake on lan. The last firmware update was in July, and I dont recall touching anything that would change functionality since then. maybe I'm missing something... But I'm sure that before after 10 min of no use in order to turn on the tv  it required a WOL packet because I made a program specifically to send WOL to my tv from my laptop about 6 months ago. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

If you don't mind the question, what purpose requires a WOL packet sent to the TV? Is it just a timed power on?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jamesl1221
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
If you don't mind the question, what purpose requires a WOL packet sent to the TV? Is it just a timed power on?

sure no problem, I go to school for computer science and am just building up a resume of applications. a desktop Roku remote that basically works the same as the iPhone app is what I'm making. But, wake on lan works for neither and I got invested into this issue

Just to clarify this post further: WOL worked in my previous desktop applications that take advantage of the ECP commands, however even the former working builds WOL no longer work. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Nice work.  Smiley Very Happy Good for you. Perhaps someone in the Developers forum might be able to assist better. That's a different section of this forum, so you might try there. 
Dan
0 Kudos