Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick10
Reel Rookie

ROKU ringing

I just setup my Roku express and after experimenting some I switched the TV input to the cable box to watch some TV and after a few minutes the player started making a ringing sound something like a cell phone. It was 3 rings and then a pause then 3 rings. I wasn't sure what to do and I didn't switch the input back to the player. I finally pushed the home button on the remote and it quit. Is this some kind of standby alarm or something?  Couldn't find anything search the posts or on Roku's troubleshooting. Thanks

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU ringing

No alarm or anything within the Express. Maybe just a electronic quirk.  Have you been able to reproduce it?  Maybe just try reseating the HDMI cable or switching it to another HDMI port.  If it happens again, I would switch back to the Roku Input and see if anything was occuring that may help explain, or if this was just a fluke.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Assuming you arent somehow hearing the Roku startup animation sound,  if you had the Ultra, it might even be the Remote Finder sound.

Doesn't really explain how you were able to hear it if you were on another input though.

You must not have CEC enabled in your TV/Roku ("One touch play") if hitting the Home button didnt switch inputs back to the Roku.

Otherwise, if it were a PC, it would indicate RAM/motherboard/keyboard failure (depending on the BIOS manufacturer).

If you've verified its actually coming from the Express box itself (and not another piece of CE equipment nearby), and if it continues, aside from the curiosity factor, I'd return/exchange it.

dathead2
Roku Guru

That definitely sounds like the “find remote” sound.  Not sure how that could’ve been getting triggered though.  Is this happening a lot?! Sounds like just one time from your description.  It is a handy feature!  The ringing comes from the remote not the Roku box itself though...

Roku Ultra 4660X
software-version 11.0.0
software-build 4193
Roku Media Player 5.5.13
0 Kudos
Nick10
Reel Rookie

I have the Express model and I don't think it has the "find the remote" feature. It hasn't done it since. The only thing I came up with is when you switch inputs on the tv and leave the roku box streaming a channel it has an alarm to tell you you're using bandwith when you're not using the player. Don't know how the box would know it's not the active input though. I'll try to reproduce the problem and make sure if the sound is coming from the player or the remote. Right now the next problem is the picture on all channels on the roku is darker than the cable picture. I have an LG plasma with 3 HDMI inputs and they're not individually adjustable. I can tweak the tv settings, but its curious why the roku is darker.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Having switched between different Roku streamers on different inputs streaming multiple sporting events many times before, I should have encountered such a "feature", yet I haven't, so thats unlikely to be the source/cause.

Interestingly enough, you mentioned you have a cable box you were watching on another input at the time - in the past, I have had cable boxes go bad, one of the symptoms being beeping similar to what you describe/akin to a PC bootup error, including having the Cable Box DVR HDD fail, with even a different set of beeping noises.

As far as the Roku video output being darker, have you tried connecting it another HDMI input?  Or adjusting the Black Level setting (low/high) in the TV to see if that normalizes the Roku?

0 Kudos
sophia97

Re: ROKU ringing no sound

symptoms are similar but not the same. Mine wouldn't take a few minutes to turn on. It would just start doing the high pitched very loud noise about 3 seconds after turning the power on. It would make the usual samsung power on sound then immediately start screeching loud with nothing on the screen.

sonnerie telephone

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU ringing no sound

@sophia97, do you have your Roku connected to your TV's USB port?  If so, try using the supplied power adapter so it doesn't have to boot up every time you turn on the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos