Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROBW444
Reel Rookie

ROKU and 120htz Refresh Rate

Not sure if this is the right location for this thread, but here it is. I have a Vizio V704-H1 tv that refreshes at 120 hz. I have a ROKU Ultra LT box. When I connect my ROKU to the TV, it is recognized as the TV automatically assigns HDMI Input 1 as ROKU,but I have no picture or sound. I had to hook my Ultra LT to another TV to change the settings to 4K 60hz, and reconnect it to the Vizio. This still did not work. Is the problem the Ultra LT? Would the ROKU Ultra work for 120hz? Or does ROKU not have a unit that refreshes at 120hz?

Thank you for your time. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kate74

Re: ROKU and 120htz Refresh Rate

I have a similar question about TV's with 120 hz refresh rates. I need to replace my old TV, and am considering buying a 60 hz or 120 hz TV (possibly Sony). I am wondering if my Roku Ultra streambox (bought January 2020, and streams 4K/60 fps) will work well or whether it will work at all with a newer TV with the faster 120 refresh rate. The 120 hz TV has both HDMI 2.1 and 2.0 ports. My roku is connected to my 2018 Onkyo receiver, which only supports HDMI 2.0.  

Does anyone have advice on this subject?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

ROBW444
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku Ultra LT and the Roku Stick, and neither work on the two 120hz TV's I have. I've tried everything and even talked to Roku Support, and they could not get it to work either. I do not have a Roku Ultra, so I can speak to that. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

They should work no matter what. Explain what you mean by don’t work? No picture? Not booting up? What if you change the resolution? I have a Roku Ultra with a Samsung 120hz and it works just great. Same with my Sticks. 60 or 120 won’t make a difference. Most TV’s are 120 now a days anyways. A Roku Ultra and a Roku Ultra LT are the same. The LT is a Walmart exclusive. The LT is missing features like a USB port and Dolby Atmos

Will Roku Ultra work on any TV?

Yes, Roku Ultra will work on any TV with an HDMI® port. Setting up your Roku Ultra is incredibly easy with everything you need in the box. Just plug it into power and connect it to your TV with the included Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable. Follow the quick on-screen setup to connect to your wireless network and link or activate your Roku account—you’ll be streaming in no time. Remember, to enjoy 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision entertainment, you’ll need a compatible TV and streaming channels. You’ll also need a Dolby Atmos compatible sound system to hear compatible entertainment in extraordinary 3D sound.

0 Kudos
ddamian67
Reel Rookie

My next TV purchase will be a 120hz refresh rate 4k TV, and I currently have the Roku Ultra players hooked up to all my TVs.

Buy looking at the Roku Hardware specifications page, none of Roku players or TVs support true 120hz refresh rate. Some TCL Roku TVs may support 120hz CMI refresh rate but that is still 60Hz enhance (not a true 120hz refresh rate).

I hope Roku has on their roadmap a new player that supports HD/120Hz and 4k/120hz true refresh rate otherwise once I upgrade my TVs I may stop using the Roku players if this is not supported.

I will think that the Players will need to have a hardware upgrade so the HDMI ports support true 120Hz.

ddamian67
Reel Rookie

All,

The Roku Ultra will work, but the question is does the Roku works at 120Hz?

Meaning the Roku and the TV will both work at 120Hz. or the Roku HDMI output will just work at 60Hz on a 120hz TV?

I just Purchase a 120hz TV and i am going to connect a Roku Ultra to it either way because I love Roku but it will be nice if 120hz is fully supported By Roku.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos