Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

ROKU SE Model 3930se Walmart Black Friday $18

I saw this special edition Roku at Walmart and was curious to know if anyone purchased it.

It looks pretty with it's little white box but does it function well?  

A couple of questions I am looking answers for: 

How's the wifi connectivity?

Does it seem fast loading the apps?

Is remote responsive?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...….

If a cable subscriber, can you play the ABC, FXnow and NatGeo apps? 

These have been zonked out on my older model.

Curious to know if those apps will work on this newer model.

The only con I can see if no direct AC plug. Looks like it uses the power from another USB slot on t.v.

Would love some feedback because I am tempted to purchase this one if it works.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: ROKU SE Model 3930se Walmart Black Friday $18

@Zeta20 wrote:

I saw this special edition Roku at Walmart and was curious to know if anyone purchased it.

It looks pretty with it's little white box but does it function well?  

A couple of questions I am looking answers for: 

How's the wifi connectivity?

Does it seem fast loading the apps?

Is remote responsive?

If a cable subscriber, can you play the ABC, FXnow and NatGeo apps? 

These have been zonked out on my older model.

Curious to know if those apps will work on this newer model.

The only con I can see if no direct AC plug. Looks like it uses the power from another USB slot on t.v.

Would love some feedback because I am tempted to purchase this one if it works.

It should just be a 3930 Express internally, so anything that runs on the latest model Express should b fine. I believe it's simply a specially packaged Express solely for Walmart. It should work with any current Roku channel available. It's going to only support 802.11b/g/n on the 2.4 GHz band. It does appear that USB power is accurate. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi!

Got this set up on Monday afternoon. Haven't played too much with it - will do more later so I'll try to answer what I can:

How's the wifi connectivity? As far as I can tell, it was great during setup. I'm currently having issues with playing a playlist on YouTube where it will freeze up consistently. I'm not sure if this is a WiFi issue. I DO know that I can play the same playlist without issue on my Blu-ray and desktop. I have a 2nd SE I was going to set up in another room but haven't had time, so my next step is to troubleshoot by hooking that one up to the same TV & seeing if that issue occurs with that one as well. Also I haven't tried any other apps at the moment. I'll try to get back to you when I do some more testing. 

Does it seem fast loading the apps? It does seem fast to load the apps.

Is remote responsive? It is responsive (until it freezes onscreen). 

If a cable subscriber, can you play the ABC, FXnow and NatGeo apps? I am not a cable subscriber, but it looks like they should work according to the Channel Checker if the NatGeo logo looks like this:
Roku NatGeo.JPG

Sorry I couldn't provide more info! 
EDIT: Yes it uses the USB for power. It states in the instructions if you see a red light on the Roku it means the USB from TV isn't strong enough to power it so you'll have to get the plug adapter. Mine worked without the adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So it appears the freezing issue with YouTube is an issue for other users as well. It seems that it happens when an ad tries to play. 

I can say that I successfully watched a full length movie that had commercials on PlutoTV without any issues at all. 

I AM disappointed with the YouTube playback issue because that is the NUMBER 1 reason I got this Roku.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I just wanted to follow up and say thank you both for answering my question.  The info is helpful. 

Follow up question:

I am curious though where would one get this plug adaptor?  Is any universal one sufficient and do you think I could switch out the cord for a longer one?   just can't reach outlet with these short cords.

I was unaware about the red light indicating power was insufficient. So thanks for that tid bit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi!

The USB cord is 58" that plugs into the Roku (microUSB side). Yes you can buy plug adapters all around, you're looking for a plug that has 2 prongs on one side & a USB port (some can have multiple ports) on the other. 

You could replace the cord if 58" is short, you just need one side with microUSB port and the other a regular USB port. 

Remember to look for a USB port on your TV - then it doesn't have far to go! Smiley Wink

You can look up the terms: usb to ac adapter plug or "usb to ac wall plug (or adapter)".

USB to AC adapter plugUSB to AC adapter plug
USB to AC adapter 2 ports.JPG

0 Kudos