Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redwood2021
Channel Surfer

ROKU Player 3400X is too old for YouTube TV?

Jump to solution

My ROKU 3400X was preinstalled on my HITACHI TV that I bought in Dec 2015 I think.  It DOES WORK to watch YouTube, but YouTube TV.

I've been communicating a support from YouTube TV and he said "Roku still should work for YouTube TV."  But he told me that my Roku model is not supported.

Here's the Supported Roku devices he sent me:

-----------------------------------------------

Roku: All Roku TVs, Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku Ultra, Roku Ultra LT, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick+ HE, Roku Streaming Stick (3600x and newer models), Roku Express/Express+, Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x, 4230x), and Roku 2 (4210x)

------------------------------------------------

Is it true?  If I'll buy a newer Roku what model should I buy?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU Player 3400X is too old for YouTube TV?

Jump to solution

The 3400 is a streaming stick, ergo its not "3600 and newer".

I recommend the Express 4K+ (not the 4K from Walmart) for its combination of features and price.

Keep in mind it isnt MHL like the 3400, just regular HDMI (and also not a streaming stick).

Also keep in mind that your access to YouTube TV will be through the YT app for now, due to the ongoing carriage dispute (unless you have the YT TV app already associated with your account via other devices).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Redwood2021 

As @StreamerUser said, that stick isn't supported. The model 3400 was part of Roku's first venture into TVs. Manufacturers included the 3400 or 3420 in TVs. Some were even behind a covering and could not be seen by the consumer. They were called "Roku Ready TVs." They used MHL ports instead of traditional HDMI ports. They look alike. That is, they are identical in appearance, but function differently. The 3400/3420 got power from the MHL port. Roku stopped making those around 2014 or 2015 (since that is when you bought yours). They continued to provide them in Roku Ready TVs until 2016, when the model 3600 stick was released.

From 2012 to 2014, they sold the Roku Ready Streaming Stick (the 3400). From 2014 to 2015, they sold the 3400 Roku Ready Streaming Stick and the 3500 HDMI Streaming Stick. They provided the MHL sticks to Roku Ready TV manufactueres until 2016, when they released the 3600, which they just called the Streaming Stick.

I'm actually surprised that YouTube works, as many of the devices from that time do not support YouTube. I'm not surprised about anything that doesn't work, however, due to the age of the device.

If you like a Stick, and if your TV has an HDMI port, you could put a model 3810 Streaming Stick+ on it. But the set top box that @StreamerUser appears to be a very good device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Google made YouTube no longer viable on older players a number of years ago. I have a 3100 (2 XS) which is only a year older than your 3400, and YouTube was the first channel that was unusable. I realize you are referring to YT TV, but it's pretty much the same under the skin for functionality. The fact you can still get YT at all amazes me, as my 3100 because useless about 4-5 years ago. And as @StreamerUser mentioned, your 3400 is an MHL connection, not HDMI (although they look identical). Your TV might support an HDMI device in the MHL slot, but odds are it will not, so you have to connect any new player to an actual HDMI slot. 

I concur about the Express 4K/4K+. Get the 4K+ if you want the WiFi remote, otherwise they're about the same device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The 3400 is a streaming stick, ergo its not "3600 and newer".

I recommend the Express 4K+ (not the 4K from Walmart) for its combination of features and price.

Keep in mind it isnt MHL like the 3400, just regular HDMI (and also not a streaming stick).

Also keep in mind that your access to YouTube TV will be through the YT app for now, due to the ongoing carriage dispute (unless you have the YT TV app already associated with your account via other devices).

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Redwood2021 

As @StreamerUser said, that stick isn't supported. The model 3400 was part of Roku's first venture into TVs. Manufacturers included the 3400 or 3420 in TVs. Some were even behind a covering and could not be seen by the consumer. They were called "Roku Ready TVs." They used MHL ports instead of traditional HDMI ports. They look alike. That is, they are identical in appearance, but function differently. The 3400/3420 got power from the MHL port. Roku stopped making those around 2014 or 2015 (since that is when you bought yours). They continued to provide them in Roku Ready TVs until 2016, when the model 3600 stick was released.

From 2012 to 2014, they sold the Roku Ready Streaming Stick (the 3400). From 2014 to 2015, they sold the 3400 Roku Ready Streaming Stick and the 3500 HDMI Streaming Stick. They provided the MHL sticks to Roku Ready TV manufactueres until 2016, when they released the 3600, which they just called the Streaming Stick.

I'm actually surprised that YouTube works, as many of the devices from that time do not support YouTube. I'm not surprised about anything that doesn't work, however, due to the age of the device.

If you like a Stick, and if your TV has an HDMI port, you could put a model 3810 Streaming Stick+ on it. But the set top box that @StreamerUser appears to be a very good device.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Google made YouTube no longer viable on older players a number of years ago. I have a 3100 (2 XS) which is only a year older than your 3400, and YouTube was the first channel that was unusable. I realize you are referring to YT TV, but it's pretty much the same under the skin for functionality. The fact you can still get YT at all amazes me, as my 3100 because useless about 4-5 years ago. And as @StreamerUser mentioned, your 3400 is an MHL connection, not HDMI (although they look identical). Your TV might support an HDMI device in the MHL slot, but odds are it will not, so you have to connect any new player to an actual HDMI slot. 

I concur about the Express 4K/4K+. Get the 4K+ if you want the WiFi remote, otherwise they're about the same device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Redwood2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello DBDukes,

Thank you very much for your detailed information.  I have learned a lot from your post.  My TV (Hitach LED LCD HDTV Model: LE32E6R9) has HDMI port, so I just placed an order of Express 4K+.  I'll try this to see if it works for both YouTube and YouTube TV.

I appreciate your help!  Have a nice day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Redwood2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Good morning, StreamerUser

Thank you very much for your immediate response!  My TV (Hitach LED LCD HDTV Model: LE32E6R9) has HDMI port, so I just placed an order of Express 4K+ following to your recommendation.  I'll try this to see if it works for both YouTube and YouTube TV.

I appreciate your help!  Have a nice day Woman Happy 

0 Kudos
Redwood2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Good morning atc98092

Thank you very much for your detailed information.  I know my tv is old, but I didn't know that other tv set from the same period doesn't work on YouTube at all.  Mine has been working since 2015 with no problems.  Plus my home internet was only 12M bps till this past Monday, now it's 300M bps.  But it seems like the huge upgrade in data speed didn't make a lot of difference in connecting to YouTube.

Anyway my TV (Hitach LED LCD HDTV Model: LE32E6R9) has HDMI port, so I just placed an order of Express 4K+.  I'll try this to see if it works for both YouTube and YouTube TV.

I appreciate your help!  Have a nice day Cat Happy

0 Kudos
Redwood2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

UPDATE: I purchased ROKU Express 4K+ a few days ago.  And it arrived so quickly on Saturday even though it's a free shipping method.  Installation was super simple!!  Thus since Sunday morning my old tv shows both YouTube TV and YouTube.  Both connects and start showing sooooo quickly.  This is amazing that the tiny device has made a lot of difference on the old tv set from 2015.

Thank you very much for your help again! Smiley Very Happy