Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

ROKU No Longer Works As Night Before

Hi, I'm very new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm listing this in a wrong section or not phrasing everything perfectly.

My wife and I got up this morning and discovered that our ROKU version 3 no longer lets us watch Amazon or YouTube or the paid channel we have through Amazon. We got the warning pop up that says not enough memory but it worked perfectly last night and this morning when we got up the Roku had a new background as well. So the background update seems to have caused a bug or issue with the Roku working. I went ahead and deleted about 20 stations/channels and games on the Roku and we still cannot watch YouTube or Amazon or our paid Amazon channel. We also have an SD card inserted into the Roku to try to give it extra memory but it does no good at all. We tried turning the roku off and on multiple times, turning off the modem several times, and unplugging everything and again nothing did any good at all.

Can anyone please advise? We have very strong wifi in our house and as I said the roku worked perfectly the night before but when we checked in the morning there was the new background. It's almost like that update broke its memory capacity or ability to work as before.

Is it possible to get in touch with Roku customer support and request a updated model or a replacement that will work again? I must have deleted at least 20 channels and rebooted everything five times but it does not seem to make any difference. We did everything in this video several times: [youtube:2csjb1pw]meLQ7wOb-Os[/youtube:2csjb1pw]

Please help if you can. Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: ROKU No Longer Works As Night Before

Remove the SD card and try again.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Level 7

We did this and it did not make any difference.

We started out with around 40+ channels. I deleted all of them so that we're down to Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube, and Pandora and now are able to use all of these again. But obviously, that last update uploaded a massive screen background image that (seems) to have taken up a huge amount of memory on the Roku. I know we have an older version of Roku (version 3) but the updates and uploaded images would appear to be consuming more memory than it can handle until it finally reaches a point where it can no longer work. The SD card doesn't supply enough memory to put a dent in its operating capacity.

So my follow up query would be is there any way to delete these seemingly enormous background images from the Roku and just have 1 background/theme?

I could not find any way to do this on the settings.

Also, is there any way to boost the memory capability of the v.3 Roku than just the SD card? For example, could I retrofit it somehow with a 1T flash drive or something like that so it can have enough memory capacity to handle more channels again? I know some channels are certainly bigger than many others but I'm trying to diagnose why it worked fine one night, then the next morning the forced update and new background image appears to have crashed it and caused it to have used up 90% of its memory. Just trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"4795209" wrote:
We did this and it did not make any difference.

We started out with around 40+ channels. I deleted all of them so that we're down to Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube, and Pandora and now are able to use all of these again. But obviously, that last update uploaded a massive screen background image that (seems) to have taken up a huge amount of memory on the Roku. I know we have an older version of Roku (version 3) but the updates and uploaded images would appear to be consuming more memory than it can handle until it finally reaches a point where it can no longer work. The SD card doesn't supply enough memory to put a dent in its operating capacity.

So my follow up query would be is there any way to delete these seemingly enormous background images from the Roku and just have 1 background/theme?

I could not find any way to do this on the settings.

Also, is there any way to boost the memory capability of the v.3 Roku than just the SD card? For example, could I retrofit it somehow with a 1T flash drive or something like that so it can have enough memory capacity to handle more channels again? I know some channels are certainly bigger than many others but I'm trying to diagnose why it worked fine one night, then the next morning the forced update and new background image appears to have crashed it and caused it to have used up 90% of its memory. Just trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Thanks.

Let's acknowledge that SD storage is not really memory. It's storage for additional data that has no impact on the amount of RAM in a device. Just like on your computer, there's memory (RAM) and disk storage. The SD card is NOT additional memory, but rather, additional storage for the Roku device.

Your Roku 3 has 512 MB of memory, and 256 MB of storage. If you add an SD card, that will add up to 2 GB of additional storage. Larger SD cards do not give you more than 2 GB of additional storage.

There is something about the SD cards that you should be aware: sometimes, they're buggy in a Roku. Because of that, removing an SD card would clear up a glitch that it caused. I have personally experienced this, but I haven't had this in some time. My current SD card works fine. Anyway, that's why Shawn suggested removing it, to see if that was the cause.

Remember, the SD card is simply storage for channels that haven't been used recently. When you download channels, they take up the storage space on the Roku (256 MB, in your case). Having a channel/app on the device does not impact memory, only storage.

If you add enough apps to your account (the number varies depending on how large the apps are), they may not all fit on your Roku. When that happens, Roku unloads the oldest (in terms of last use) from the local device. If you launch that app again, it downloads it from the Roku servers. The purpose of the SD card is to allow for more local storage for the apps.

When you launch an app, that app loads into memory and runs. When you close the app and launch another one, the first app is no longer in memory. So, Roku only deals with one app at a time.

As for the new background (HBO's Westworld, I believe), you can easily turn those off. From the main menu, go to Settings > Themes > Custom Settings > Enable Featured Themes (uncheck)

Be sure to select a different theme. Default is always safe.

If you are really worried about memory (again, don't confuse that with app storage), make sure you don't have any custom screen savers running. Use one of the Roku defaults, such as Analog Clock.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. I'll read over it a few times to make sure I'm absorbing what you're describing. I think I get the gist of it, but I don't think it explains how the glitch or bug happened or could have happened.
0 Kudos
sgmfish
Level 7

I have to periodically re-root my Roku3 to clear such issues.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"4795209" wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll read over it a few times to make sure I'm absorbing what you're describing. I think I get the gist of it, but I don't think it explains how the glitch or bug happened or could have happened.

I'm reading that you said that Amazon is now working. This is after you removed several apps and the SD card. Perhaps one of the apps you removed was buggy, in addition to (or instead of) the SD card.

It would take troubleshooting to determine just which app, or app in combination with SD card, could be the cause.

For now, do the steps regarding the background and screensaver. Note that some apps install their own screen saver, and these can cause issues, but we don't yet know if that's applicable.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos