Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moritat
Reel Rookie

Questions regarding turning off my Roku Ultra

I recently purchased a Roku Ultra to use with my new Youtube TV. I have been turning off the Roku when I retire at night, and I wanted to know if this is ok?  First, I'll explain my set up.  I have the Roku hooked up as a wired ethernet connection to the ATT router and of course the HDMI cable is hooked to the TV.  The Roku is plugged into a power strip, not directly to the wall.  When I say I'm turning off my Roku, all I'm doing is turning off the power strip. While the power strip is off, the ATT modem/router remains on. My first question is...  When the power strip is off can the Roku still receive updates through the router?  And the other question, is there some kind of problem I am possibly creating by turning that power strip off? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Questions regarding turning off my Roku Ultra

1) its ok

2) cant receive updates (its not powered)

3) no, it'll update when it powers up/is on

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Questions regarding turning off my Roku Ultra

@Moritat wrote:

And the other question, is there some kind of problem I am possibly creating by turning that power strip off? 

That depends on what you consider to be a problem.

Each time the power strip is turned on the Roku will have to go through its full startup routine, including establishing a new wifi connection, before you can stream anything.  If  this short delay is okay with you, then this is not a problem.

If you are starting the TV up at the same time, with some TV/Roku combinations the TV may start up faster than the Roku.  In this case, when the TV checks the HDMI port to see if anything is connected, if the Roku is not yet ready to respond the TV reports the HDMI port has no signal.  Switching the TV to a different input and back will cause the TV to check again and this time should find the Roku.

Startups and shutdowns are generally harder on electronics than just letting them run.  You may (and again I only say "may") be shortening the service life of the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos