Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xpac5896
Level 7

Question before buying Roku

My TV is 4K, needless to say, I want a 4K Roku, however looking at the models they have on the Roku site, it only shows wireless, could have missed some. I would like to have a wired Roku connected to my router and TV. Do they make such an animal and if so which model?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
dgrace
Level 10

Re: Question before buying Roku

There seem to be several, according to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Question before buying Roku

Buy the ultra.  It will be on sale for $50 at several retailers this coming week .
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Question before buying Roku

"xpac5896" wrote:
My TV is 4K, needless to say, I want a 4K Roku, however looking at the models they have on the Roku site, it only shows wireless, could have missed some. I would like to have a wired Roku connected to my router and TV. Do they make such an animal and if so which model?

Depends on where you are. You didn't list your location on your profile, so we don't know if you're in the U.S. -- where you have a full line of devices from which to choose, including the Ultra -- or in, say, the U.K. -- where you only have a couple of devices available, all of which are wireless only.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
xpac5896
Level 7

Re: Question before buying Roku

My mistake for not listing location. I'm in the US, Kentucky. I want a wired because I feel that wifi is ok for some things like phones but when it comes to something like 4K, I would prefer a wired connection. I do use wifi for my Samsung QLED and I do have to admit that the picture I receive over my wifi is pretty darn good. My understanding is that DirectTV offers 4k programming but my provider, which is Spectrum, has few and far between 4K programming. In all honesty, I myself, cannot tell between BluRay and 4K. To me, BluRay is just as clear as 4k other than the sound, which I do have to admit, is much better than BluRay. But any way, I hope this answers your question in regards to location.
0 Kudos
xpac5896
Level 7

Re: Question before buying Roku

dgrace: Thanks for the link. Seems as though the 4661 Ultra is the one I'm looking for. Little pricey but I guess that what you get when you add all those bells and whistles.
Two more questions, well actually 3, that I thought of and sorry about adding them
1. What, if any, problems do you run into and
2. do they have a list of apps that can be added to the Roku. I understand that everyday apps are being added but a basic list would be sufficient and
3. In regards to support, do you have to email, call, how does support work if you have a problem. I don't want to wait a week for help if I have any problem with it.
I know this is asking a lot but the only way you find out things is to ask. The only dumb question is a question not asked.
twiceover: have any ideas as to which retailers or do I just keep an eye out? 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Question before buying Roku

"xpac5896" wrote:
My mistake for not listing location. I'm in the US, Kentucky. I want a wired because I feel that wifi is ok for some things like phones but when it comes to something like 4K, I would prefer a wired connection. I do use wifi for my Samsung QLED and I do have to admit that the picture I receive over my wifi is pretty darn good. My understanding is that DirectTV offers 4k programming but my provider, which is Spectrum, has few and far between 4K programming. In all honesty, I myself, cannot tell between BluRay and 4K. To me, BluRay is just as clear as 4k other than the sound, which I do have to admit, is much better than BluRay. But any way, I hope this answers your question in regards to location.

Since you're U.S. then you have the Ultra as an option. It's the only current device with an Ethernet port. If your wireless router is fast enough, you won't have any issues. Wired would be a way to be sure.

Others with more WiFi experience would address if older or lesser devices on your wireless network might keep a router from performing well enough to support 4K streams. I'm thinking some really old device that only supports a/b/g or some such. Maybe the WiFi gurus can address.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Question before buying Roku

"xpac5896" wrote:
dgrace: Thanks for the link. Seems as though the 4661 is the one I'm looking for. Little pricey but I guess that what you get when you add all those bells and whistles.
Two more questions, well actually 3, that I thought of and sorry about adding them
1. What, if any, problems do you run into and
2. do they have a list of apps that can be added to the Roku. I understand that everyday apps are being added but a basic list would be sufficient and
3. In regards to support, do you have to email, call, how does support work if you have a problem. I don't want to wait a week for help if I have any problem with it.
I know this is asking a lot but the only way you find out things is to ask. The only dumb question is a question not asked.

I know you asked dgrace, but he's offline at the moment. He'll pop in and make any additional comments, I'm sure.

2: That list is way too big. Just take a look at https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

3: The Ultra offers the best support, including phone. The Express is pretty much email. Not sure about the Sticks or the Premiere devices.

By the way, I've not had issues in general, and have purchased a couple of dozen Roku devices since 2010 (older become hand-me-downs to family and friends). Only one has ever failed (couple months after I got it), and Roku replaced it. My experience does not guarantee your experience.

Hope that helps. Others (including dgrace) may offer additional info.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos