Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clocks
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"clocks" wrote:
Is there any official word on what cards work in a Roku 3? I got a 3 pack of 8gb, class 10 U1 cards, and they don't seem to work. Some say only class 6 and lower will work, but those are getting harder to find. Are the Rokus that sensative that they won't detect current generation sd cards?



Tried another brand tonight, and again, they are not detected. I still have not been able to find firm specs from Roku on this. Some say "HC" card don't work, but I have a 16gb HC Toshica that works fine.

Edit: Just tried calling them to get the specs for compatible cards. Holy crap Roku customer service is a complete joke! After a long ordeal, they come back and tell me that Roku only accepts 512meg micro sd cards. I didn't even bother to argue, as obvious I was talking to an offshore rep that had no idea what I was asking or how to answer. I guess CS is another area the competition is beating Roku.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

Hasn't been a hard and fast rule in my experience either.

I've had 4-8 GB (and larger) microSDHC Class 10 cards work, and others don't. Different brands, and even different SKU's from same brand.
0 Kudos
clocks
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

So I have two Roku 3s, same channels on both, one has a 16gb card, the other has 2gb. Of all the cards I have bought and tried, these seem to be the only two that work on Roku.

The 2 gb one says 6% used (0.1gb of 1.9gb)
The 16gb one says 6% used (0.9gb of 15.3gb)

Can anyone explain that?
0 Kudos
lvporta
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

okay, this thread has been educational for me. I have a Roku 3 and a Roku 2. What is the reason to even bother to install Micro SD cards? What purpose do they serve? I might be interested. TIA
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"kc8pql" wrote:
The only thing the SD card does is increase the on board storage memory for installed channels. It's not needed at all unless you have a huge number of channels installed (hundreds), and even then it's not really necessary. It does not expand the buffer memory.

On the large picture, your understanding is correct. SD card expands storage for apps and a good indication SD card may help you is when one starts seeing "download % progress" dialog when staring channels installed and ran before.

Wrong on the "huge number of channels installed (hundreds)" though. The number is much smaller than hundreds, for example my 2XS has only 40 channels and is choking w/o SD card.

Some channel bundles are very small, others may be huge. Sadly, unlike every other streamer out there, so far RokuCo has figured one should not be burdened with knowledge of how much space each channel wastes. In FireTV, AndroidTV and now AppleTV there is a way to see how much space does each app take (and delete the abusers). The only way to judge relative size of channel bundle so far is when installing to observe progress bar - how long does it take to download. There are also other reasons that can limit the on-board channel storage, like a bug into which details i don't want to delve just now.
0 Kudos
clocks
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"EnTerr" wrote:
"kc8pql" wrote:
The only thing the SD card does is increase the on board storage memory for installed channels. It's not needed at all unless you have a huge number of channels installed (hundreds), and even then it's not really necessary. It does not expand the buffer memory.


Some channel bundles are very small, others may be huge. Sadly, unlike every other streamer out there, so far RokuCo has figured one should not be burdened with knowledge of how much space each channel wastes. In FireTV, AndroidTV and now AppleTV there is a way to see how much space does each app take (and delete the abusers). The only way to judge relative size of channel bundle so far is when installing to observe progress bar - how long does it take to download.


+1

It's one thing to be chincy with only giving us 256meg of ram. Sure, sd cards are cheap, ok fine. But then they don't give you any idea of how much of the onboard storage is being used!?!?! Then on top, it seems like 2/3s of modern micro sd cards will not work with Roku 3.

I've been a big Roku fan from the first box, but as competitors join the mix, more and more I dislike the way Roku does things.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"EnTerr" wrote:

Wrong on the "huge number of channels installed (hundreds)" though. The number is much smaller than hundreds, for example my 2XS has only 40 channels and is choking w/o SD card.

Interesting. Presently I'm primarily using a 2011 Roku2 XD and a 2015 Roku 2, both on the same account and running the same 40 or so channels.
The R2XD has a 2G card installed, the new R2 doesn't have a card. I see no difference in the loading performance between the two.
I have no interest in games however, so that may make a difference.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"kc8pql" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Wrong on the "huge number of channels installed (hundreds)" though. The number is much smaller than hundreds, for example my 2XS has only 40 channels and is choking w/o SD card.

Interesting. Presently I'm primarily using a 2011 Roku2 XD and a 2015 Roku 2, both on the same account and running the same 40 or so channels.
The R2XD has a 2G card installed, the new R2 doesn't have a card. I see no difference in the loading performance between the two.
I have no interest in games however, so that may make a difference.

Yes. I wouldn't expect issues with 40 channels and no games. I know my case is related to games (i just wrote some gory details on the ghostly & ghastly case here). While some non-game "fancy" channels (meaning non-BrightScript, like Netflix/YouTube/Hulu-) in theory can cause the same "memory sludge" issue too, i doubt very much they would, for multitude of reasons.
0 Kudos
KentuckyAl
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"clocks" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
"kc8pql" wrote:
The only thing the SD card does is increase the on board storage memory for installed channels. It's not needed at all unless you have a huge number of channels installed (hundreds), and even then it's not really necessary. It does not expand the buffer memory.


Some channel bundles are very small, others may be huge. Sadly, unlike every other streamer out there, so far RokuCo has figured one should not be burdened with knowledge of how much space each channel wastes. In FireTV, AndroidTV and now AppleTV there is a way to see how much space does each app take (and delete the abusers). The only way to judge relative size of channel bundle so far is when installing to observe progress bar - how long does it take to download.


+1

It's one thing to be chincy with only giving us 256meg of ram. Sure, sd cards are cheap, ok fine. But then they don't give you any idea of how much of the onboard storage is being used!?!?! Then on top, it seems like 2/3s of modern micro sd cards will not work with Roku 3.

I've been a big Roku fan from the first box, but as competitors join the mix, more and more I dislike the way Roku does things.


-------

Roku seems to be in denial regarding its problems detecting micro-SD cards. The written response from Roku to my inquiry about the problem was nothing more than a reiteration of the website instructions for installing a card. I have never had any problem installing micro-SD cards in any other devices. I recently got two Roku 3's and two brand new micro-SD cards (Transcend, 4 GB, Class 4, microSDHC). Neither card works in either Roku. Has anyone been able to determine whether this is a software or a hardware problem? Is Roku trying to create a new revenue stream by limiting micro-SD functionality to only those cards sold by Roku?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"KentuckyAl" wrote:
Roku seems to be in denial regarding its problems detecting micro-SD cards. ...

Here's the thing: it's not a universal issue with devices detecting the microSD cards. I've purchased several different Roku models that accept microSD cards. Once, as in one time, I had a device fail to read the card. I removed the card, reinserted the card, and it worked. I've rarely had any devices have problems with inserted media, but I'd be hard-pressed to say that none of my devices, whether a $99 Roku or a $3500 MacBook Pro, have never had a one-time glitch with a media device inserted. That one out of many isn't enough for me to say my Roku had a serious problem. The reinsertion worked, and the device -- Roku 2 XS handed down to my son -- still works today. Roku "in denial?" I don't think so.
"KentuckyAl" wrote:
...The written response from Roku to my inquiry about the problem was nothing more than a reiteration of the website instructions for installing a card. ...

And that's what fixed my one-time issue. True, I didn't contact them prior to trying that, but if you've worked support or read support forums, there is a large number of people that won't take the initiative to "try doing it again." You might be surprised to learn how many people can't follow directions. Not saying that you can't, but that is one of the leading causes of support calls.
"KentuckyAl" wrote:
... I recently got two Roku 3's and two brand new micro-SD cards (Transcend, 4 GB, Class 4, microSDHC). Neither card works in either Roku. ...

Now, here's a difference. Since Roku says microSD card, I've never put a microSDHC card in one. Every card I've put in a Roku said microSD, not microSDHC.
"KentuckyAl" wrote:
... Has anyone been able to determine whether this is a software or a hardware problem? ...

When you tried a microSD card, not a microSDHC card, did it work? If you didn't try a microSD card, then the problem is neither with Roku hardware nor Roku software, but one with not following directions.
"KentuckyAl" wrote:
... Is Roku trying to create a new revenue stream by limiting micro-SD functionality to only those cards sold by Roku?

That's just silly. In 5 years, I've placed 2 microSD card orders from Roku. One as part of a bundle with an A/V cable for my Roku XDS in 2011. The other was a stand-alone (that is, no other cables, remotes, or anything else) when I made a purchase for my Roku 2 XS. That's the device that didn't work the one time, but a reinsertion of the card corrected that. The other microSD cards I bought, for newer Roku devices, were from stores such as Best Buy or Walmart. So, I have bought cards from sources other than Roku and had no issues.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos