Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"Basil" wrote:
... Now, here's a difference. Since Roku says microSD card, I've never put a microSDHC card in one. Every card I've put in a Roku said microSD, not microSDHC. [...] When you tried a microSD card, not a microSDHC card, did it work? If you didn't try a microSD card, then the problem is neither with Roku hardware nor Roku software, but one with not following directions.

SD and SDHC are the same thing, practically speaking. SD is limited at 2GB and SDHC (high capacity SD) is v2.0 of SD and can reach 32GB, see http://www.integralmemory.com/faq/cards ... d-sd-cards

Hence, if you have >2GB SD card on your hands, it necessarily is a SDHC.

Formally, all SDHCs are SDs but not all SDs are SDHCs. Thus Roku docs will be correct to use the more general "microSD" term. Albeit they'll be correcter if they add some guidance on the cards (size? class?) other than the implied "whatever the heck is supported by the Linux inside"
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"EnTerr" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:
... Now, here's a difference. Since Roku says microSD card, I've never put a microSDHC card in one. Every card I've put in a Roku said microSD, not microSDHC. [...] When you tried a microSD card, not a microSDHC card, did it work? If you didn't try a microSD card, then the problem is neither with Roku hardware nor Roku software, but one with not following directions.

SD and SDHC are the same thing, practically speaking. SD is limited at 2GB and SDHC (high capacity SD) is v2.0 of SD and can reach 32GB, see http://www.integralmemory.com/faq/cards ... d-sd-cards

Hence, if you have >2GB SD card on your hands, it necessarily is a SDHC.

Formally, all SDHCs are SDs but not all SDs are SDHCs. Thus Roku docs will be correct to use the more general "microSD" term. Albeit they'll be correcter if they add some guidance on the cards (size? class?) other than the implied "whatever the heck is supported by the Linux inside"

I yield the point.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
KentuckyAl
Level 7

Roku Customer Service came up with a solution to my Roku 3 failing to detect micro SD cards. Sam from Roku CS suggested that I "check the status by using any Class 10 Micro SD card". I inserted a 32 GB, Class 10, micro-SDHC and the Roku detected it immediately and asked whether I wished to format the card. My previous attempts to install 4 GB, Class 4, SDHC failed because the Roku didn't detect the card, therefore didn't give me the option to format it.

Note: The 32 GB, Class 10, micro SDHC that worked in my Roku 3 had previously been formatted for my Canon camera. So, I formatted the 4GB, Class 4, SDHC in my camera and tried once again to install it in my Roku. As before the formatting, the Roku failed to detect the card. So, I conclude that the formatting does not make any difference but the Class 10 does. Good luck out there.

01/22/2016 Oops... it's back to the drawing board. I purchased a new Lexar 16 GB, Class 10 micro-SDHC and my Roku 3 failed to detect it. I wonder what the Roku 3 is looking for in order to "detect" that a micro-SD has been inserted. Until this issue is resolved I am going to suspend all channel development for the Roku platform.

01/26/2016 Today I inserted a Lexar, 32 GB, Class 10, micro-SDHC. It was detected by the Roku 3 which gave me the option of formatting the memory card.
Two of the five (40%) cards that I inserted into the Roku 3 were detected. That's a 60% failure rate.
The two cards that were detected were 32 GB, Class 10, micro-SDHC. One was Lexar brand. The other was a cheap no-name brand from China.
The three cards that the Roku 3 failed to detect were two different Transcend, 4 GB, Class 4 and one Lexar, 16 GB, Class 10.
0 Kudos
EDRJR
Level 7

After no luck with a Sandisc class 10, I ordered a Transcend Class 4, 8 gb card. Tried 4 times to get it to detect. Erased most of my channels, restarts, hard restarts, etc. Tried to pull it out one last time and accidentally pushed it in further with the pliers. I thought I broke it. Roku 3 finally saw the card and formatted it. Make sure you push the card in until it is flush. I heard a click with it slightly protruding and felt resistance, so I stopped there each time. Epic Old Man Fail.  :roll:
0 Kudos
OzzyWings
Level 7

Amazon has a third party remote where you put the card into the remote!

Does anyone understand this or what it will do? I have an original and an LT.

Thanks
0 Kudos
robocop1888
Level 7

is it possible to copy a channel from pc to sd card and stick it in device?
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"robocop1888" wrote:

No, and there is no point to trying that. But even if there were the cards are not usable in a PC after they are set up in the Roku and to be setup in the Roku everything gets erased.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 16

"robocop1888" wrote:

Nope. The only way to add a channel is from the Roku itself in the Channel Store, of from the Roku web site Web channel store
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
robocop1888
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"robocop1888" wrote:

Nope. The only way to add a channel is from the Roku itself in the Channel Store, of from the Roku web site Web channel store

ok thanks, only reason im asking is because i have the 4200uk nowtv version, an update was forced to box yesterday which removes dev mode 
so we cannot add any other channels 
0 Kudos
filmmadman
Level 7

I am ordering a Kingston 2gb micro sd class 2, not sdhc. We will see...my Sandisk 16gb class 4 micro sdhc did not work in the Roku 3 boxes.
0 Kudos