Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"kc8pql" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:

Well what convinced me to try a microSD card was the channels on my Roku tending to reload on a regular basis. It seems as though it has been happening more often than normal lately, so I figured why not.

The only thing the SD card does is increase the on board storage memory for installed channels. It's not needed at all
unless you have a huge number of channels installed (hundreds), and even then it's not really necessary. It does not
expand the buffer memory.


I have over 600 on mine currently. I know it is for expanded memory for installed channels and I’m fine with that. Like I said I got a good deal so it wasn’t as though I went through much expense for the card. If the card solves the problem of channels reloading then it will have done what I wanted it to do.

I have a flash drive that I use on my Amazon Fire TV, but it isn’t a big drive so I basically moved channels/apps I rarely use over to the flash drive. I’ve been thinking of upgrading that eventually, but the Fire TV is a back up option for me to my Roku and my Blu-Ray player. If Amazon could fix the bugs with regard to certain channels that I also get via Roku then I would use it more often. The only thing that I have had problems on Roku with is with their YouTube channel. Beyond that, I may have a problem occasionally with a channel going down here and there, but overall Roku is the best OTT device I’ve ever used.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

Well I got my micro SD card today. Predictably, the experience of getting it installed was somewhat comedic for someone who have never used a card before. It took me three attempts for my Roku 3 to recognize it, but I got it in and formatted. Now I think the card may be stuck in the slot. I ordered another card as a backup option, but I am curious has anyone ever dealt with a stuck card in a slot and given how small the card is how would one go about getting it out? I apologize again if my questions seem dumb, I promise I’ll get the hang of things. I got the card to work so the first hurdle has been cleared successfully.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"bvd1022" wrote:
Well I got my micro SD card today. Predictably, the experience of getting it installed was somewhat comedic for someone who have never used a card before. It took me three attempts for my Roku 3 to recognize it, but I got it in and formatted. Now I think the card may be stuck in the slot. I ordered another card as a backup option, but I am curious has anyone ever dealt with a stuck card in a slot and given how small the card is how would one go about getting it out? I apologize again if my questions seem dumb, I promise I’ll get the hang of things. I got the card to work so the first hurdle has been cleared successfully.

Thanks.


Use your fingernail to push the card further in and it will release and spring back out so it can be removed.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
Well I got my micro SD card today. Predictably, the experience of getting it installed was somewhat comedic for someone who have never used a card before. It took me three attempts for my Roku 3 to recognize it, but I got it in and formatted. Now I think the card may be stuck in the slot. I ordered another card as a backup option, but I am curious has anyone ever dealt with a stuck card in a slot and given how small the card is how would one go about getting it out? I apologize again if my questions seem dumb, I promise I’ll get the hang of things. I got the card to work so the first hurdle has been cleared successfully.

Thanks.


Use your fingernail to push the card further in and it will release and spring back out so it can be removed.


Thanks, I have big hands so I doubt my fingernail will fit, but I'll see if I can get one of my female family members to assist me on that one if I need to get it out. The card I ordered yesterday will be a backup in case I need it, but so far the card I'm using is doing the job minus it being stuck in the slot.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

You can also you the tip of a fine tipped pen, or the end of a small paper clip. It's spring loaded.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
J0hn-S
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

Well that explains a lot. First, without reading I get Kingston 32gb, which are too large. Now I got a deal on Amazon for 2 4gb sandisk but they're microsdhc and they aren't recognized either.

Guess I need to read more before ordering. Smiley Sad
Roku 2
Roku 3 (4200)
0 Kudos
Memphis3
Level 7

32GB microSDHC UHS-I

Roku 4 :mrgreen:
and
32GB microSDHC UHS-I 8-)

Now
My Roku 4 Recognized and formatted the above. I know it was a over kill but I wanted a fast cheep SD card to use with my other stuff (laptop NiKons Iphones printers ect...). Less than a 20$ test drive with a super fast somewhat large card with my Roku 4.

Test

I am good to go with Not the biggest but the fastest SD card available.
Roku 4 WD Hub
0 Kudos
Memphis3
Level 7

32GB microSDHC UHS-I

1st Install
On the first install the card did not click in when I pushed it in and would not come out so I had to get a pair of tweezers to pull the card out Smiley Sad
2nd Install
On my second install I could feel the spring pressure on the card and heard the install click. On removing the card it popped out and flew across the room. I almost lost it. :roll:

Again

With card installed and plug in power up the Roku 4 Recognized and formatted the 32GB microSDHC UHS-I card.
Roku 4 WD Hub
0 Kudos
clocks
Level 7

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

Is there any official word on what cards work in a Roku 3? I got a 3 pack of 8gb, class 10 U1 cards, and they don't seem to work. Some say only class 6 and lower will work, but those are getting harder to find. Are the Rokus that sensative that they won't detect current generation sd cards?
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"J0hn-S" wrote:
Well that explains a lot. First, without reading I get Kingston 32gb, which are too large. Now I got a deal on Amazon for 2 4gb sandisk but they're microsdhc and they aren't recognized either.

Guess I need to read more before ordering. Smiley Sad


I don't know necessarily if a 32gb card is too large or has any barring on compatibility, but the 8gb card I purchased from Amazon which is a Scandisk microSDHC worked immediately once I got the card to pop in. Once it was in, it was recognized immediately and took less than five minutes to format. Right now with over 600+ channels on my Roku the card is only using 8% of space so it's doing what I wanted it to do, but I don't know if 32gb cards are incompatible due to space of the disk, from what I understand based on what I was able to research before I purchased my card, I don't think it would matter, but I like I said am new to microSD cards so my opinion is based strictly on what I researched and not from first-hand knowledge. The 8gb microSDHC card I bought does the job though.
0 Kudos