Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Question about Micro SD cards

Hi,

I apologize if this is someone else has already made a similar thread to this. I just ordered an 8GB Scandisk micro SD card for my Roku 3. I have never used a micro SD card before and I was wondering if there is anyone in the forums who could tell me what I need to do once I get the card as far as installation and what their experience has been using cards with their Roku?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
41 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Question about Micro SD cards

"bvd1022" wrote:
Hi,

I apologize if this is someone else has already made a similar thread to this. I just ordered an 8GB Scandisk micro SD card for my Roku 3. I have never used a micro SD card before and I was wondering if there is anyone in the forums who could tell me what I need to do once I get the card as far as installation and what their experience has been using cards with their Roku?

Thanks.

If the card is compatible with the Roku, you will be prompted to format it, if necessary. Once it's ready to go (if it's already formatted correctly, or after it's formatted), it will show up under Main Menu: Settings > System > About.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tecmo_SB_Guy
Level 7

8 GB is a bit much isn't it? I mean it would work just fine.

But I thought I read here once that 4 GB micro SD card would do just as good?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Just make sure it's a MicroSD and not a MicroSDHC
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
"Tecmo SB Guy" wrote:
8 GB is a bit much isn't it? I mean it would work just fine.

But I thought I read here once that 4 GB micro SD card would do just as good?

To be honest I ordered the first one that caught my eye that was within my price range. It’s the first time I’ve purchased one so I am a newcomer to micro SD cards. I’m a writer and up until six years ago I still saved my material to a floppy disk until a computer tech turned me on to flash drives and I’ve used them ever since for moving material off of my PC’s. I know it probably sounds funny to people who are more tech savvy, but I’ve gotten better in recent years in terms of being more open to newer technology.

"jeffrok" wrote:

I think it is a MicroSDHC. Is that going to be a problem for me? Like I said I’m new to this so please forgive me if my questions seem dumb. I’ll get the hang of it.
0 Kudos
Tecmo_SB_Guy
Level 7

0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 8

It's been a bit of a crapshoot in my experience, but you'll know right away if the card is recognized or not.

I must've gotten over a couple dozen 4GB and 8GB MicroSD(HC) Class 10 cards for the Roku's over the years, of different brands (and different SKU's within the same brand). I'd had a few not compatible (at the moment I can only recall that some of them were a particular Kingston 8GB SKU part). I also recall having success with many Transcend 4GB and 8GB SKU's.

I'd usually just looked for whatever's the cheapest Class 10 cards I could buy online in bulk, usually around 5 bucks I think. I just stayed away from larger or fancier cards like UHS-I speeds or whatnot (I do use some 128GB fast cards for other gadgets though).
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"beq" wrote:
It's been a bit of a crapshoot in my experience, but you'll know right away if the card is recognized or not.

I must've gotten over a couple dozen 4GB and 8GB MicroSD(HC) Class 10 cards for the Roku's over the years, of different brands (and different SKU's within the same brand). I'd had a few not compatible (at the moment I can only recall that some of them were a particular Kingston 8GB SKU part). I also recall having success with many Transcend 4GB and 8GB SKU's.

I'd usually just looked for whatever's the cheapest Class 10 cards I could buy online in bulk, usually around 5 bucks I think. I just stayed away from larger or fancier cards like UHS-I speeds or whatnot (I do use some 128GB fast cards for other gadgets though).

Well what convinced me to try a microSD card was the channels on my Roku tending to reload on a regular basis. It seems as though it has been happening more often than normal lately, so I figured why not. I got a good deal on Amazon for the card, if this goes smoothly I’ll definitely buy more if nothing else so I can get used to using cards. To me, it is kind of similar to when the first Playstation came out twenty years ago. After growing up as an Atari, NES, SNES, Sega gamer, it took me a while to get familiar with using memory cards for Playstation games, but once I got the hang of it, it became second nature to me.

"Tecmo SB Guy" wrote:
This might help you:

https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ku-player-

Thank you for the link. I have bookmarked it and will definitely be using it when I install the card when I get it. Hopefully this guide will make it relatively simple for someone, who tends to be stuck in the 80’s in regard to most things.
0 Kudos
Taps
Level 7

I asked about the specs for the roku 4 sd card slot

"Thank you for contacting Roku Customer support. We sincerely apologize for the delay in writing back.

We understand you require the specifications for the micro SD card to use with your Roku.

The Roku 4 is compatible with a micro SD card that is between class 2 and class 6 and a capacity up to 32 GB."

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/ ... index.html
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/compat ... index.html
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"bvd1022" wrote:

Well what convinced me to try a microSD card was the channels on my Roku tending to reload on a regular basis. It seems as though it has been happening more often than normal lately, so I figured why not.

The only thing the SD card does is increase the on board storage memory for installed channels. It's not needed at all
unless you have a huge number of channels installed (hundreds), and even then it's not really necessary. It does not
expand the buffer memory.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos