Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David21
Level 7

Projecting a Roku to a Windows 10 computer?

I'd like to project the audio and video output of my Roku latest Streaming Stick to my Windows 10 computer

I can make the computer ready by running the Connect app on it, but how to I get the Roku to mirror/project/cast to the computer?

I've asked this in a Windows 10 forum, and the only person who responded thought that it could be done "the same way" an Android cell phone can be projected onto Windows 10.

I'm only interested in viewing, not in recording. I understand that Miracast supports DRM, both on Roku and Windows 10. It is like simulating an HDMI cable.

But I also have an HDMI cable, and it only seems to work in viewing my computer on my TV. I want to view the Roku output on my computer.

Do any readers have any ideas? Have any readers accomplished this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Miami_Son
Level 7

Re: Projecting a Roku to a Windows 10 computer?

Unlike a cell phone, casting involves hardware that the Streaming Stick just doesn't have. The Roku is designed to output only one way, via hardware connection. Why not simply run the Roku website on your PC? That's what it is designed for.
0 Kudos
David21
Level 7

Thanks for explaining that the hardware just can't do this. This was helpful.

I searched for "run roku on Windows 10" and found only a fraudulent website. What is the correct search string, or the Roku on Windows URL?
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

The Roku Stick is a client, not a server. If you're looking to capture video from the Roku stick you'll need a video capture card or dongle that can take in HDMI, such as (but not limited to) the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-P ... B00U8KSSRY

You then connect your Roku directly to the PC and can view or capture the output.

I don't think the PC Roku app can actually play content on the PC, it just plays PC content on the Roku (PC as server, Roku as client).

If you just want to watch your TV on your PC you'd do better by going to the web sites (or apps) for the content provider concerned. They will almost always have the facility to watch your content that way. For example Netflix, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 and UKTV Player are all available easily on the PC and that covers all the main stuff I watch in the UK. The situation is much the same for other content providers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 15

What Andy said.  Smiley Very Happy Roku has no method of sending any audio/visual signal out other than HDMI (or composite on the Express +). It is a simple media streaming device, and has no ability to cast or display itself by any method other than the HDMI/composite ports.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos