Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockou
Level 7

Problems or annoyances with firmware 8.0

I was finally able to get the 8.0 firmware on my original Roku Ultra and decided to start a bug thread.
So far it seems to have solved the annoying problem I had with 7.7 where the screen would flash until I switched inputs on the reciver a few times until it settled down. It was even worse in 4:2:0 mode but now with 8.0 I can select either mode again and it seems ok. I left it in 4:2:2 mode for no particular reason.
The red flashing in Netflix on 4k non HDR movies seems to have been fixed as well after watching for a little while.

I like that I can watch movies in 24p now but in Netflix it seems like that while Netflix is changing resolutions until it gets up to it's max resolution for the particular movie, it will flash for a second on each resolution change. For example. I start The Do Over (4k HDR movie). At first it may start out at 720P then when it gets up to 1080 it will flash for a brief moment, then when it gets to 1440 it flashes again and when it hits 2160 it flashes again and then since the resolution stays put the flashing stops. Maybe it is a deal with Netflix and maybe it's Roku, not sure. Anyone else seeing this?

Another thing, and maybe this is just my tv, I do not like the look of 30P. It makes it look like the video is in a kind of slow motion which is weird. I wish I could disable 30P and just keep either 24 or 60.  I tried watching this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHd7sHAJI8. In 30P when the guy with the skunk hair comes out on screen it looks slow. I switch the Roku to fixed 60P and it looks normal speed. Anyone else notice this with 30P?
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
22 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Problems or annoyances with firmware 8.0

"rockou" wrote:
I like that I can watch movies in 24p now but in Netflix it seems like that while Netflix is changing resolutions until it gets up to it's max resolution for the particular movie, it will flash for a second on each resolution change. For example. I start The Do Over (4k HDR movie). At first it may start out at 720P then when it gets up to 1080 it will flash for a brief moment, then when it gets to 1440 it flashes again and when it hits 2160 it flashes again and then since the resolution stays put the flashing stops. Maybe it is a deal with Netflix and maybe it's Roku, not sure. Anyone else seeing this?

Are you sure this is new?  I noticed this with one of the 7.x firmware releases when watching a HLS stream.  I'm not sure what adaptive streaming method Netflix uses, but the whole idea of adaptive streams is that the device should seamlessly switch from one bitrate to another.  A big black flash is hardly seamless.  I'd call it a bug that has been around for a while and isn't likely to get fixed if it's not acknowledged by Roku.

-JT
0 Kudos
Deviancy
Level 7

I experienced a resolution issue with 8.0 where it set my Roku 2 to 1080 after it rebooted.  Firmware updates have never changed my 720 setting before but 8.0 did on the Roku 2.  With the Premiere it did the same but with the Premiere after setting it back to 720 and rebooting things just got buggy and I got a brief flicker of snow on the screen and then after the next restart it seemed fine.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
Are you sure this is new?  I noticed this with one of the 7.x firmware releases when watching a HLS stream.  I'm not sure what adaptive streaming method Netflix uses, but the whole idea of adaptive streams is that the device should seamlessly switch from one bitrate to another.  A big black flash is hardly seamless.  I'd call it a bug that has been around for a while and isn't likely to get fixed if it's not acknowledged by Roku.

-JT

I am positive it is new, I never saw this before. It is not a black flash on my end but a flicker of the picture I guess I should say.

The 30P issue I described earlier only appeared to happen to a few videos I watched while others were just fine at 30P. Still, I had issues sometimes when the frame rate would change and I would get a brief HDCP error when it changed. One time it permanently stuck at the HDCP error and I couldn't watch anymore videos on any channels. I tried unplugging the HDMI cable, turning off the TV and receiver, switching receiver inputs but it didn't help. I had to unplug the Roku and plug it back in and that solved it.
After that I decided to just leave it set to disable auto frame rate changing which is a shame.
Also after setting it to disable, I watched some Netflix and saw that the audio would drop out at times. I then watched some YouTube to see if that was doing the same thing and it was. 
This morning I came downstairs and my wife was watching Stranger Things on Netflix. I asked her if the audio was dropping out and she said no. All of a sudden the picture and audio dropped out for a second...
I have been pretty patient as I love all the channels Roku has but I'm getting real tired of the bugs... Please get my Roku fixed. I'll leave it at 60P, I just want it to not drop video and audio and no more HDCP errors please.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

After I posted the last post, I went in and switched the Roku display setting to 4k HDR at 60hz (before it was set to auto detect). My wife resumed watching Stranger Things and still is at this moment. She said she hasn't had anymore audio drops since then. I'll have to play around and watch multiple sources later after she is done so I can see if the problem was resolved after setting it that way.
0 Kudos
wintergarden
Level 7

I've posted in both the 4th 2017 quarter requests and the OS8 24p threads regarding my current issues with the 24p, 25p and 30p implementations. Click thru my name to hear my thoughts (and those of others) on this matter.

In other OS8 news, though, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the private listening through the remote jack in OS8. They even fixed the subtitle audio sync issues that the previous OSes suffered from while you were using private listening. There is still a very minimal audio video sync issue through the remote jack, though. Although it's so minimal that it shouldn't bother most people. I feel, however, that Roku could give us a setting for a private listening test pattern with a beep and sliders for adjusting audio delay to time the beep perfectly with the test pattern. Something to consider.

Regarding private listening through the android app, however, it's not quite as rosy. There are HUGE audio video sync issues and terrible degradation of audio with the audio snapping, popping and crackling along with intermittently shutting off altogether. I've tried this with my nexus 6p phone on the same network as the Roku on both my 2.4 and 5ghz networks and have had similarly awful results both times. The private listening through the app is essentially unusable in OS8 along with the latest version of the Roku app from the android Play store.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

^ Just curious, is your Roku on 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or Ethernet when you use remote jack private listening?  For some reason I heard audio pops with the 2017 hardware when on 5GHz.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108742

I've had varying results for phone app private listening, depending on the house and router (since audio in this case is routed via the router), and BT vs wired headphones.  My own house, iPhone private listening via AirPods don't usually have any issues with audio sync or pops/crackles, on either Wi-Fi band for the phone and Roku.  But at another house with similar setup, I often had a small audio delay.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

I watched video from the Roku last night and this morning and haven't had any further video or audio dropouts. May have been a fluke the other night which I am glad of.

I did play with the auto refresh setting, enabling it again last night until it once again gave me the purple HDCP error after I watched a channel showing movie trailers that kept changing the refresh rates for every trailer. 
I will leave that setting off for now. With it disabled my Roku seems to work well again.
0 Kudos
wintergarden
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
^ Just curious, is your Roku on 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or Ethernet when you use remote jack private listening?  For some reason I heard audio pops with the 2017 hardware when on 5GHz.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108742

I've had varying results for phone app private listening, depending on the house and router (since audio in this case is routed via the router), and BT vs wired headphones.  My own house, iPhone private listening via AirPods don't usually have any issues with audio sync or pops/crackles, on either Wi-Fi band for the phone and Roku.  But at another house with similar setup, I often had a small audio delay.

To be clear, I tried the private listening through my phone on both 2.4 and 5ghz. I've only had my Roku 4 on the 2.4ghz network while I was testing out the private listening via the remote jack and it played smoothly.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Hey guys, I'm reading through this thread now, and will likely have a few questions as I go through it.

"rockou" wrote:

The 30P issue I described earlier only appeared to happen to a few videos I watched while others were just fine at 30P. 

In the YT video example you posted earlier (skunk hair guy :mrgreen: ) does the issue happen in that same spot every time, or is it random?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos