Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jramn
Level 7

Private Listening and TV Speakers

Jump to solution

Did the latest Roku Ultra update take away the ability to listen through private listening and the TV speakers at the same time?  Recently I was able to use the up, up, down down, up, up, up, down, down, down sequence with the volume button on the remote to activate the TV while using the headphones plugged into the remote but this no longer works.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Private Listening and TV Speakers

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that this feature is currently not available. I have passed along your feedback to the appropriate team regarding this feature request.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Komits41
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have an Ultra and this feature had been working fine for the year I have owned it.  However, this recently (can't remember exactly when) stopped working by not letting me enter the last down! The ultra stops responding to my code entry! Has anyone else experienced this?

Komits41
Level 8

Jump to solution

I own several Roku's besides the Ultra and the ear bud /TV speakers sequence worked on all devices I tested other then the Ultra.  My test included re-pairing the Enhanced voice remote with each Roku device and testing the sequence UUDDUUUDDD.  It's interesting only the Ultra has had an update recently - 10/23/20  ver 9.4.0-4176, all the others have not had an update since August ver 9.3.0-4194.

LocationModelVerBuildLast Update 
Master bedUltra9.4.0417610/23/2020 1:55pmdoesn't
LRStick9.3.041948/7/20 11:17pmWorked
StudioRoku 39.3.041948/8/20 9:22amWorked
Kitchenstick9.3.0419410/9/20 9:18pmWorked (Purched 10/9)
Bedroom 1stick9.3.041948/7/20 8:36pmWorked

Conclusion: ear bud /TV speakers sequence has been blocked/removed on Ultra either by intent or accident with ver 9.4.0, other devices still work today but may not when update 9.4.0 is pushed to those devices

Lewms139
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very disappointed that Roku would not be addressing this update issue.....Being able to use the Earbuds and speakers on at the same time is why I purchased the Roku & have recommended it to many of our friends......hopefully Roku will be address this soon..!!

marysunshine14
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yes I have the same problem. I see that it has been 3 weeks and still no answer.

I have hearing aids and this solution worked great for me and my husband so I didn't have to have the TV speakers so loud. Anyway of going back to before the 9.4 update? 

0 Kudos
VinceHanchon
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ours was working until we got the latest update 9.4 build 4190  this morning at 3:19 am EST. This is the ONLY reason I own this device. I will be dumping it quickly if this is not resolved soon.

marysunshine14
Level 9

Jump to solution

@VinceHanchon wrote:

Ours was working until we got the latest update 9.4 build 4190  this morning at 3:19 am EST. This is the ONLY reason I own this device. I will be dumping it quickly if this is not resolved soon.

It would be nice if they would respond.  It would be a good selling point, there are so many people with hearing problems who have family that don't need the audio turned so loud.

VinceHanchon
Level 7

Jump to solution

Exactly @marysunshine14, I have tolerated the ongoing battle with NBC and HBO over their new apps not being available on the platform because of this one feature...till now. I just ordered a new Chromecast. Roku has until it arrives to retain me as a user/customer. Because if I cannot get this feature, I may as well have access to all the content that is available to me.

0 Kudos
marysunshine14
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have a new Chromecast with Google Tv also. It's ok.  I can connect bluetooth headphones but have not found a way to listen to TV speakers at the same time. If you find a way please let me know.  I got a new LG tv a couple months ago, it dies not gave multi output audio so only one audio out put at a time.

I don't know why electronic makers don't make this any easier. I also bought a Roku Streambar which sounds better than tv speakers. It does not have any bluetooth headphone capabilities.

I guess I have to give up for now and see what happens in the next few months.

0 Kudos
jhuddleston
Level 7

Jump to solution

Got the update yesterday and started experiencing the same issue. What is unfortunate is this is technically an unsupported secret that became popular. Hopefully they bring it back.