Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaeldowney76
Level 7

Pricing

My current internet provider (Xfinity) is raising their prices to the point where it is no longer feasible to keep their internet package and Roku. It is cheaper to just get their internet and cable. I don't want to do this but might have to. I have checked around with different companies and getting the same pricing. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Pricing

@michaeldowney76 wrote:

My current internet provider (Xfinity) is raising their prices to the point where it is no longer feasible to keep their internet package and Roku. It is cheaper to just get their internet and cable. I don't want to do this but might have to. I have checked around with different companies and getting the same pricing. Any suggestions? 

Well, there's no cost involved specifically with the Roku. It all depends on your channel usage, and if they are free or subscription. I agree that using streaming devices can get expensive if your viewing desires include a lot of subscription sites. And that's a cost/benefit analysis that the user has to make. No one else can make that decision for you. 

If Xfinity is your only ISP option, they know they have you over a barrel. For me, DSL is still a viable high speed Internet option, so I have never depended on the cable company for Internet access. But that's not available for many users, due to the distance limits to where DSL can be offered. 

If you really need the channel selection that requires numerous monthly subscriptions, cable might be the more cost effective way to get them. And don't forget that many (most?) of the subscription services will let you access their programming via the Roku using your cable subscription, so you wouldn't necessarily need to rent/purchase a number of cable company boxes. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
michaeldowney76
Level 7

I just have the basic Roku with no subscriptions. I have checked around for other internet providers and unfortunately they are really the only one. Between the Roku monthly and the new internet monthly it puts me over what the cost of the internet package will be. It's sad because I really don't want to be married to the cable company. Question: If I terminate my Roku service can I still use the Roku device instead of needing to get a cable box?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@michaeldowney76 wrote:

I just have the basic Roku with no subscriptions. I have checked around for other internet providers and unfortunately they are really the only one. Between the Roku monthly and the new internet monthly it puts me over what the cost of the internet package will be. It's sad because I really don't want to be married to the cable company. Question: If I terminate my Roku service can I still use the Roku device instead of needing to get a cable box?

But there is no monthly Roku fee. That's what I'm not understanding. Roku does not charge any fee for using their devices, not for registration nor for continual use. If you are paying someone for using your Roku, and you haven't subscribed to any fee based channels, someone is scamming you.

If you believe you are being scammed, the first thing to do is log into your Roku user account and change the password. There's only one place to do that: https://my.roku.com. If you are using any other web address for your account, it's not legitimate. If that's the case, send a private message to @RokuDanny-R for assistance getting your account under control.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
michaeldowney76
Level 7

I guess I need to clarify. When you said subscriptions I misunderstood you. I do have a subscription for Hulu which is about $56/month and then the internet is jumping up to $89/month. So together it's about $145 and I can get the internet and complete cable for about $89/month. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Ouch, I had no idea Hulu had such an expensive package. I just looked it up and wow. You might see if Sling TV would be a better choice for you. Or perhaps YouTube TV. 

But yes, Comcast is making you a pretty good offer. However, I'd make sure if that's the ongoing price, or if that's only for the first year. I've seen them make great offers for the first year, but then it jumps substantially in the 2nd year. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

You tube tv is going up to $65 a month, I turned it off on the third of this month myself, with nothing new on the horizon it wasn't worth it any more and with rise in price by $15 a month, no way. 

Edmund
0 Kudos