Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Premier+ stopped working on update

I hadn't used my Premier+ in at least 6 months. I connected it to the network again to check again what's available. It powered on fine and I saw the Roku screensaver. No response from remote. I see there is some network traffic but nothing is happening otherwise. After a while TV says no signal from the box. I let it sit for about an hour figuring an update is happening. I check back and nothing. The white power light is on and I see periodic indications of network traffic but the box won't do anything. It's not sending any signal to the TV and it doesn't respond to the remote.

I've done the obvious stuff, checking network cables, replace batteries, powercycled the roku (this model doesn't have a reset pin). The setup is identical to how I had it before when it worked great..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Premier+ stopped working on update

i'm having the same problem seems after the last update things went down hill. every time i turn on the tv on i'm having to unplug the power cable to get it to do anything, also done a complete factory reset still nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@RichT @T_W 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I done what you suggested and behold it seems to be working without a problem now. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi @RokuDanny-R , I'm having this same issue and have searched multiple threads on the topic, but none of the troubleshooting tips have worked.

My boyfriend bought me a brand new Roku Premiere yesterday. I connected it and went through the first steps of configuration – language selection and connecting to the WiFi. It successfully connected to WiFi, then a message said it had an update. I accepted the update and it hasn't worked since.

If I just turn on the TV to the right input (HDMI3), it is a black screen that makes a popping sound every few seconds. If I do a factory reset, the Roku device will take me back through language selection and successful WiFi connection, then immediately shut down. The Premiere's power is definitely working. 

Here is everything I have done so you don't have to suggest I do these things again:

• rebooted router
  • tried a different HDMI cable
  • tried a different HDMI port on the TV
  • tried a wireless hotspot that was 2.4ghz
  • tried turning off my wireless password so it could automatically connect
  • tried a different power source
  • unplugged and replugged in my TV
  • factory resets ranging from 10-30 seconds on the Roku Premier

I would love to get support from you here, as there is no chat/phone contact on the Roku site and there's a message saying there's no support during this situation. Please help! Otherwise I'll return this through Amazon and look for another brand that doesn't have a known/common problem from the get-go. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@pamkberg 

Thanks for the information. 

You've clearly done a thorough troubleshooting of the issue that you are experiencing!

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just wanted to share an update – I contacted Roku Support and they suggested I return the device since I'd tried everything. I remembered reading in another forum post that someone's device randomly started working 3 weeks later, so before giving up I tried one more time. The same thing happened – went through configuration as far as connecting to Wifi, then the screen went black and was making a popping sound. I happened to be doing something else at the time, and left it like that.

About 10 minutes later, I saw a brief flash of a different Roku screen. I realized the device was working, but the connection was the problem. Even though I had tried different HDMI cables AND different ports on the TV before contacting customer support, I tried again. This time switching to a different HDMI port worked. I don't know why, because the original HDMI port works fine for a console. Go figure! 

0 Kudos