Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanMan141
Level 9

Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version

Curious: the new U.S. version of the Roku Express model 3930 comes with a power adapter while the Canadian version of the same, model number 3930CA does not.

Perplexed as to why?  (The arguments as to whether it's actually required or not is the same regardless of which country you're in.)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CanMan141
Level 9

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version

Bump.

Nothing to say about this Roku???

I have both the U.S. and CA models (long story).  The box is much larger in Canada which made me notice.  Notice that there's actually less in there.  The Canadian box overall has significantly more volume meaning more space on shelves filled with air.

So still the question remains Roku: why less product for the Canadian model?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version

Maybe it was taken out after in left factory, and you received one with missing item?

0 Kudos
CanMan141
Level 9

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version


@Tivoburkee wrote:

Maybe it was taken out after in left factory, and you received one with missing item?


Afraid that's not it.  There's no place for it in the (large) box - no mould/slot in the plastic casing.  And when you look at the specs of each on the Roku U.S. vs CA site (by changing the country region in the lower right) this site details that a power adapter is included in the U.S. model and not the Canadian one.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version


@CanMan141 wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Maybe it was taken out after in left factory, and you received one with missing item?


Afraid that's not it.  There's no place for it in the (large) box - no mould/slot in the plastic casing.  And when you look at the specs of each on the Roku U.S. vs CA site (by changing the country region in the lower right) this site details that a power adapter is included in the U.S. model and not the Canadian one.


Not doubting anything you're saying, but if that's true that's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Battery operated devices coming without batteries? Sure, we see that all the time. But a consumer electronic device designed for use in a static location (it's not a portable player that can be used via batteries) and plugged in, that's just plain dumb. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
CanMan141
Level 9

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version

Since these newer models are designed to just be powered by using the USB port readily available on most TVs these days, I suspect they're just trying to save a buck.  Which is fine, but it's not parity between the product contents in one country vs the other.  That's the issue.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Power adapter with the new U.S. Roku Express but not the Canadian version


@CanMan141 wrote:

Since these newer models are designed to just be powered by using the USB port readily available on most TVs these days, I suspect they're just trying to save a buck.  Which is fine, but it's not parity between the product contents in one country vs the other.  That's the issue.


Yeah, but the problem with that is the USB 2.0 standard only requires 500 mA of power, and most Roku devices require more than that. Poor place to attempt to save a buck in my opinion. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos