Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Play/Pause, Fast Forward & Rewind Buttons Inactive in Many Apps

Jump to solution

In many apps, eg CBS Full Access, and before that B/R Live, these buttons as well as Play/Pause are inactive while watching live matches. Is that a Roku issue or an app issue?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Play/Pause, Fast Forward & Rewind Buttons Inactive in Many Apps

Jump to solution

To pause a live broadcast the signal keeps coming whether you're watching it or not.  Pausing a live broadcast requires a system that can store (i.e. record) the incoming live signal when you decide to pause then play it back when you resume.  Roku devices have no such recording/playback capabilities.  Some premium channel subscriptions do include recording/playback capabilities, but this is done on the channel's own server not your Roku.

When playing on-demand programs, you're getting your own private stream that starts and stops, or rewinds or fast forwards, as you require.  But even so, different channels have programmed in different ways of doing these operations, which can be very confusing.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

You can pause live streams (I've do it all the time with my personal channels), although they may have removed the ability to do that with their stupid scene graph stuff.  All I want is to be able to pause a live stream for a few seconds so I can read something before it disappears.  Even the lowly Express has plenty of RAM to allow for that.  If anyone at Roku had a brain they'd use the feature to distinguish their high end models from their low end models.  Being able to pause a live stream and/or go back a few minutes is something that has been around for a decade or longer and should be standard in every streaming device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Waguih wrote:

Thank you Makaiguy for your reply, which I’m accepting as the explanation of this issue. However, as I’m a big soccer fan, as I mentioned above, when watching a live match on CBS Full Access running on my Roku Ultra, these buttons are inactive, whereas when watching a live match on NBCSN running on the same Roku Ultra, these same buttons are active, so obviously this is not a limitation of live vs replay. Something else is in play. 

Yes.  You're watching two different channels which have provided two different sets of capabilities.  Roku provides the platform on which the channel apps run.  The channel apps are created, delivered, and maintained by the channel suppliers themselves.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

App issue.  Why some channels (including The Roku Channel) won't allow you to pause live streams is beyond me.  What a giant step backwards for technology.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought so too but I guess I was hoping Roku could do something about it. In fact I checked a couple of apps, and while the buttons were inactive while watching live matches, they were active when watching replays, which confirms that Roku itself is not involved. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

To pause a live broadcast the signal keeps coming whether you're watching it or not.  Pausing a live broadcast requires a system that can store (i.e. record) the incoming live signal when you decide to pause then play it back when you resume.  Roku devices have no such recording/playback capabilities.  Some premium channel subscriptions do include recording/playback capabilities, but this is done on the channel's own server not your Roku.

When playing on-demand programs, you're getting your own private stream that starts and stops, or rewinds or fast forwards, as you require.  But even so, different channels have programmed in different ways of doing these operations, which can be very confusing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

You can pause live streams (I've do it all the time with my personal channels), although they may have removed the ability to do that with their stupid scene graph stuff.  All I want is to be able to pause a live stream for a few seconds so I can read something before it disappears.  Even the lowly Express has plenty of RAM to allow for that.  If anyone at Roku had a brain they'd use the feature to distinguish their high end models from their low end models.  Being able to pause a live stream and/or go back a few minutes is something that has been around for a decade or longer and should be standard in every streaming device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you Makaiguy for your reply, which I’m accepting as the explanation of this issue. However, as I’m a big soccer fan, as I mentioned above, when watching a live match on CBS Full Access running on my Roku Ultra, these buttons are inactive, whereas when watching a live match on NBCSN running on the same Roku Ultra, these same buttons are active, so obviously this is not a limitation of live vs replay. Something else is in play. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Waguih wrote:

Yes.  You're watching two different channels which have provided two different sets of capabilities.  Roku provides the platform on which the channel apps run.  The channel apps are created, delivered, and maintained by the channel suppliers themselves.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree. I guess it depends on how far the app developer is willing to go in implementing their apps given the capability, flexibility and intuitiveness of the basic building components available on the platform. 

0 Kudos