Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aoitonbo
Level 7

Phone to Roku - Portrait Orientation

Hello,
  I often use my Smart View on my phone to connect to Roku.  I have an android app that I really like to use to read news from.  However, when I read, I like to read in Portrait mode.  My monitor I just bought I have mounted in Portrait mode, but my Roku will not change to portrait mode.  I see no setting that allows me to do this.  Is there anyway to get Roku to display in portrait mode?  I have no setting on the monitor I bought to flip the screen any way.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Phone to Roku - Portrait Orientation

There's no setting that would accomplish that and given that the primary purpose of a Roku is to stream video I sincerely doubt it would ever be added. I'd say you're probably the only person in the world that wants to watch a thin strip of a video surrounded by huge amounts of blackness, but I see people do it on their phones all the time and I just shake my head. You should probably invest in one of those pivoting monitor mounts.

-JT
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Re: Phone to Roku - Portrait Orientation

This would be the job of the OS on your device. Monitors do not generally tell the device which way up they are beyond a static landscape resolution as tablets do, because they do not have the sensors for it. You have to manually tell the device to generate a portrait image. All the Roku does is act as a wireless connection.

So, does your phone's settings have an option to rotate the external display? That's what you're going to need.
0 Kudos