Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mminyard
Level 7

Performance of Roku Streaming Player vs TCL Roku TV

Are there any resources comparing the performance of various Roku streaming players to Roku TVs (like TCL's)?  I'm interested in performance in areas like startup time, app launch time, responsiveness when navigating guides and menus, etc.  

As an example, I use PlayStation Vue.  I initially began using Vue with an older Roku streaming player, and the performance within the Vue app was very slow.  Near the end of 2016, I replaced that older streaming player with the 2016 streaming stick and the performance is acceptable.  Reviews and demos of the newer streaming players indicate even better performance.  I'm considering a new TV and trying to decide whether to get a Roku TV or just get whatever TV and a newer Roku device.  I would prefer a Roku TV but I'm concerned about poor performance, reverting to what I experienced before.  Not for sure how I can compare expected performance.  I noticed that even the 2016 streaming stick has quad core processor and many of the TVs that I have looked at only have dual core processors (at least the TCL ones).  Without more details on the processor or memory though, that is not enough detail to make a comparison.

Matt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Performance of Roku Streaming Player vs TCL Roku TV

The problem with Roku TVs is that we don't have a source of hardware information for them like we do for the Roku players. I have two Roku TVs, and their performance is completely different from each other. The Insignia is a small 720p set, and doesn't seem to have the performance of my 2016 Stick, let alone the latest versions. And I will say that my 2016 Stick still works quite well when I travel and connect to the hotel network. But my Sharp 4K Roku TV seems to be every bit the equal of my Ultra. So you asking about a TCL TV, we have no way to compare them. They might be like mine, with the smaller sets having less performance, while the larger ones are fine. My guess is if the TV supports 4K then it should have reasonable and comparable performance to the latest versions of the Stick, and likely the Ultra as well. But if they are small 1080 or 720p sets, they likely don't have the performance of the latest players. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

I would agree with the previous post #2.

I have two (2) TCL Roku TV's. One is a 32" TCL 3-Series 720P set for occasional night time viewing of older TV shows on streaming services. (Peter Gunn on Prime Video!!) One is a 55" TCL P-Series set that is a 4K HDR and Dolby Vision capable set. I find the performance of the Roku OS on both very acceptable, but the responsiveness and snappy response of the OS is better on the 55" 4K capable TCL set. But, the TCL 3-Series set cost $105 on clearance and the TCL P-Series set was $599 a year ago. You kinda get what you pay for in some way.

The Roku OS continues to be updated on each set and I don't find either one degrading in performance about a year later. Really comes down to a personal preference of whether you like the convenience of an integrated Roku TV experience over a standalone device. Do you plan to watch Over the Air channels? If so, then a Roku TV is definitely a better choice. You get an integrated Smart Guide and the ability to Pause Live TV with the addition of a USB drive in the USB port of the set.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
mminyard
Level 7

I appreciate the info atc98092 and blade_005.  Your thoughts are inline with my thinking that the only way to possibly infer performance would be to look at other related specs (like whether 4K is supported).

blade_005, you mentioned a 55" TCL.  I was considering the TCL 55S405, part of their 4 Series that does support 4K HDR (but not Dolby).  Any idea how that would compare to the TCL 55" you have?  Also, if I may ask, how is switching between an app like PS Vue and an over the air channel?  Having the smart guide and ability to DVR to a USB would be nice.  I was thinking one drawback would be the ability to quickly switch between say a channel in PS Vue and an OTA channel.  One thing I don't like about PS Vue is that there doesn't seem to be a good way to quickly switch between 2 channels.  With my current setup, by pressing the input/source button on the my TV remote, I can at least quickly switch between whatever PS Vue channel is active and an OTA channel.  When I do this, the PS Vue app stays active and streaming so, when I press the input/source button again, I'm right back in without waiting for the app to start or anything.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"mminyard" wrote:
I appreciate the info atc98092 and blade_005.  Your thoughts are inline with my thinking that the only way to possibly infer performance would be to look at other related specs (like whether 4K is supported).

blade_005, you mentioned a 55" TCL.  I was considering the TCL 55S405, part of their 4 Series that does support 4K HDR (but not Dolby).  Any idea how that would compare to the TCL 55" you have?  Also, if I may ask, how is switching between an app like PS Vue and an over the air channel?  Having the smart guide and ability to DVR to a USB would be nice.  I was thinking one drawback would be the ability to quickly switch between say a channel in PS Vue and an OTA channel.  One thing I don't like about PS Vue is that there doesn't seem to be a good way to quickly switch between 2 channels.  With my current setup, by pressing the input/source button on the my TV remote, I can at least quickly switch between whatever PS Vue channel is active and an OTA channel.  When I do this, the PS Vue app stays active and streaming so, when I press the input/source button again, I'm right back in without waiting for the app to start or anything.

I would think that Roku OS responsiveness from a S-Series TCL would be quite similar to the P-Series. I don't use external sources and only stream with internal apps, so I can't really comment on responsiveness of switching between HDMI inputs. One thing to consider is that the TCL TV Roku OS is not multi-tasking and will not keep multiple inputs up and running simultaneously. For instance, if you have an OTA channel running and then jump over to the HDMI input with your PS Vue streaming, the OTA stream and any buffer is stopped. So, if you are looking to keep two (2) streams up and running and jump back and forth seamlessly, I don't think this will give you the experience you may desire.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
SusanEileen
Level 7

I found your response to this problem while searching for a solution to mine.  I have Roku 3 and suddenly for not reason it started hanging up while I was using YouTube.  It was taking 20 to 30 seconds for anything to register after clicking a button.  Very hard to search, turn on closed captions, etc.  I noticed that the format and position of the titles of videos while they played had moved and the path to turn on cc, activate the like button, and subscribe button were different also.  I did not have one single ad while this problem existed. 
I want to thank you and express my deepest appreciation for your suggestion.  Silly of me not to try it, since I knew from working with office machines and computers, that turning them off or rebooting oftentimes solved our problems.
Thank you again.  I unplugged the Roku and counted to ten.  When I entered YouTube everything was fixed -- instant response to my clicks and the ads have been restored,.Not that I consider that as a plus, but it is a good sign that things are back to normal.
0 Kudos