Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Pay to activate a Roku TV?

Jump to solution

@antrmo wrote:

as this was over a month ago . I cannot remember the exact order, it played out, sorry, 

here is what i do remember, when the tv was first plugged in and turned on, I believe I was asked to enter a code?, ,If I didnt have a code i was to go to roku .com or call a number, when i called someone told me I had to pay 85$ canadian dollars to activate the tv, I tried switching inputs ,volume, no functions on the tv would work?, the person on the phone said he would activate it when i paid, this argument went on for 15 min, I shouldnt have to pay to hook up a ps4 to my tv to use,,, but I couldnt use any functions of the tv. so I paid

and then the tv started working. how can this be a scam? MY TV WOULD NOT ALLOW ME to use any functions at all, simple stuck on a screen.

Because you gave him access to your real Roku account, and the scammer was using that access to actually complete your registration on the real web site. When you went to Roku.com, unfortunately the web browser you used offered suggestions (as they all do) as you began typing, and you were directed to a bogus web site. 

Although this was over a month ago, I recommend you contest the charge on your credit card, and immediately change your Roku account password, if you haven't already done so. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

ty for all the info, next question.

it seems alot of the Free features on the Roku channels do not work, when I pick a show I get the option to play it, i hit the play button, the screen goes black, like its going to play, then just goes back to the hit play option,  the show or movie never plays, this is on the roku channel under free featured television,  any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@antrmo wrote:

ty for all the info, next question.

it seems alot of the Free features on the Roku channels do not work, when I pick a show I get the option to play it, i hit the play button, the screen goes black, like its going to play, then just goes back to the hit play option,  the show or movie never plays, this is on the roku channel under free featured television,  any suggestions?

Are you referring to the channel actually called "The Roku Channel", or other channels available on a Roku device that offer free content? I know it's a picky question, but The Roku Channel is created and supported by Roku themselves, so they can respond to that here. If it's some other channel, we need more detail about what channel(s) that might be.

Also, can you be more specific about what you attempted to play (title, and again which channel you were in)? 

You might have stated earlier, but please confirm what model Roku device you are using. If it's a Roku TV, the make and model number, if a Roku player we need the specific model number (not its name).

Thanks!

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

i did the account cancel and reset, so far 1 movie on the roku channel has worked, I will update as time goes on to follow up any issues, I have a 65 sanyo roku tv,

thank you for all the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was trying to activate my Roku and according to the guy I was speaking to he was from Roku. He told me that I had to pay $100 to activate. I argued and said that this has never been part of the deal when you bought one. This is the second one I have in my house and was very angry. I filling a complaint with amazon and will return. I will not pay for something when I have never been told about this before. This is bate and switch..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@yunker wrote:

I was trying to activate my Roku and according to the guy I was speaking to he was from Roku. He told me that I had to pay $100 to activate. I argued and said that this has never been part of the deal when you bought one. This is the second one I have in my house and was very angry. I filling a complaint with amazon and will return. I will not pay for something when I have never been told about this before. This is bate and switch..

No, you did not contact Roku. When you went to the web page to activate your Roku, you accepted one of the suggested sites from your browser, but it wasn't Roku. There is no charge to register a device, or for any account creation or support. You must make sure you went to the correct Roku site to link your device to your account. Sometimes these browser recommendations are really, really bad. The scammers have manipulated the search engines to get their page to appear before the real Roku site.

Dan
0 Kudos