Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Pay to activate a Roku TV?

Jump to solution

Way you buy tv for if you have to pay to for activate your tv having cable home what up with that

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Pay to activate a Roku TV?

Jump to solution

@Natural 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Way you buy tv for

Jump to solution

If anyone told you that you have to pay to activate, IT IS A SCAM!!!!

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Way you buy tv for

Jump to solution

I call 3 time and enter the page to activat the  Brand new TV and i call because the page was not leting me do so i they wanted me to pay $60 i told the way buy tv if you have cable box and know to pay for tv to use i say no 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Natural 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds as you may have contacted by a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks.
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks because we were told to pay knew it was a SCAM !  Gotta keep putting the word out 😀

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Right when I Plugged in brand new Roku Express it took me to an Activation Screen and gave me a number to call. Company called Boksol LLC debited my card for $100 I told them no and they disabled all my Roku Devices. I called back and they told me it was a new policy. This being said, this screen came up automatically on screen and they shut down my other Roku device as well. I did not get on web to activate as my Roku’ s were locked up. What was that. Yes I’ve seen third party web site reply but I was not on a computer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

this is what happened to me, how can a SCAMMER? get into the tv when i first plug it in right after i buy it? 

they cant..these tv,s being sold are needed to be activated apparently, and the number to call comes up on the televsion, the tv is not even hooked up to the internet yet so there is no way someone has hacked it or scamming me. So why is Roku saying you dont have to pay,? when clearly we do. and apparently I get my money back in 6 months.?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@antrmo wrote:

this is what happened to me, how can a SCAMMER? get into the tv when i first plug it in right after i buy it? 

they cant..these tv,s being sold are needed to be activated apparently, and the number to call comes up on the televsion, the tv is not even hooked up to the internet yet so there is no way someone has hacked it or scamming me. So why is Roku saying you dont have to pay,? when clearly we do. and apparently I get my money back in 6 months.?

Are you saying the phone number itself appeared on the screen, telling you to call them? Or did the phone number appear on the web site you were attempting to use to activate? If the latter, you did not go to the real Roku web site, but instead were misled by your browser recommendation as you were typing in the web address. 

But if the phone number was actually shown on the screen, please, please confirm that for us. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

as this was over a month ago . I cannot remember the exact order, it played out, sorry, 

here is what i do remember, when the tv was first plugged in and turned on, I believe I was asked to enter a code?, ,If I didnt have a code i was to go to roku .com or call a number, when i called someone told me I had to pay 85$ canadian dollars to activate the tv, I tried switching inputs ,volume, no functions on the tv would work?, the person on the phone said he would activate it when i paid, this argument went on for 15 min, I shouldnt have to pay to hook up a ps4 to my tv to use,,, but I couldnt use any functions of the tv. so I paid

and then the tv started working. how can this be a scam? MY TV WOULD NOT ALLOW ME to use any functions at all, simple stuck on a screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Yes, this is scamming.  I don't think anyone charges for product support in this day.  Make sure you don't pay, or let other people open your roku account for you.  

0 Kudos