Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Parental controls have stopped working

Jump to solution

The parental controls on my Roku have stopped working. I have my account set up so that a PIN is required to download any channels from the Channel Store. This has worked perfectly until today. Now any channel can be downloaded from the Channel Store without requiring the PIN to be entered.

I have tried restarting my ROKU, changing my PIN, changing the settings in my account (to not requiring a PIN and then back to requiring a PIN) -- and still any channel can be downloaded without requiring a PIN.

This is very important to me; I consider the Roku unusable without the parental controls working.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Parental controls have stopped working

Jump to solution

So far so good, I’ve tried downloading several different channels from the Channel Store, and still requesting a pin! What I did.

1) Enable guest mode on the device from your Roku account

2) Once active, disable it 

3) Unplug TV at actual TV not from wall

4) Turn back on....and it should work.

Again, May have been dumb luck...but I can rest easy tonight knowing if my son gets up before me, he is not downloading channels we don’t want him watching.

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here! Was surprised to see so many channels added by one of my kids since this no longer seems to acknowledge the account settings... 

PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I even tried a factory restart. Didn't help. The issue persists.

What is weird is that it was working fine two days ago, and there hasn't been a software update since then. No idea what could be causing this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Interestingly, I set the parental controls on the Roku Channel (requiring the PIN to watch R rated movies, etc.), and that aspect of parental controls is working -- it requires the PIN. It still doesn't require the PIN to download channels, though, despite my having checked that option.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Having the same problem.  Tried everything.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

We have a son with Autism, caused complete melt down tonight as he downloaded you tube and other “non” approved channels which are detrimental to him....any help please.  Reset pin, factory reset...did it all Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I set the guest mode on my TV tonight and see if that worked, when it didn’t I went back to normal mode and it restarted the TV. I checked the channel store and it required a pin. I’m not sure what I did helped however I did unplug the TV as well. Hope it works for you

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here. My son keeps downloading apps. Sorry but I don’t find this a coincidence with how media controls what we see. Roku may have just proved to me they are rubbing shoulders with these media giants. Hoping it’s just a glitch! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So far so good, I’ve tried downloading several different channels from the Channel Store, and still requesting a pin! What I did.

1) Enable guest mode on the device from your Roku account

2) Once active, disable it 

3) Unplug TV at actual TV not from wall

4) Turn back on....and it should work.

Again, May have been dumb luck...but I can rest easy tonight knowing if my son gets up before me, he is not downloading channels we don’t want him watching.

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

This worked for me! Thanks so much!

By the way, I did it without step 3 -- turning the TV off. I don't have a Roku TV, just a Roku Express+, so I don't know if that is relevant. But entering Guest Mode and then exiting Guest Mode restarted the Roku (both times), and the parental controls are now working normally. Thanks again!

0 Kudos