Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matimat2010
Reel Rookie

Parent Controls for Home Screen Ads

Jump to solution

Where are the parental controls for the ads that appear on the home screen? Im not happy with my child seeing images of the movie "Gacy" everytime we turn on the tv lately. Its enough to consider a different device. Surely there is a way to limit to family friendly ads but I cant seem to find it, please help.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Parent Controls for Home Screen Ads

Jump to solution

Hi @matimat2010,

We appreciate your post regarding the ad and parental control inquiry.

We currently do not have the feature for parental control on Roku devices directly. Please be noted that while we can't please everyone with the ads that are displayed, we do strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might not agree with. I'll forward your comments to our advertising department for review.

Thanks for your patience regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be noted that Roku streaming device does not offer a global parental control setting to restrict access to content across all streaming channels, but you can configure access limits based on ratings in certain situations such as those described below:

• Set up ratings-based playback restrictions within The Roku Channel
  • Set up built-in parental control features on other popular streaming channels that offer these features
  • Configure your Roku TV™ to restrict viewing of programs on "over-the-air" broadcast television

Here's a link to our support page to find out more about the feature: How to block content using parental controls | Official Roku Support 

We appreciate your patience with this matter!

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
76 REPLIES 76
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @matimat2010,

We appreciate your post regarding the ad and parental control inquiry.

We currently do not have the feature for parental control on Roku devices directly. Please be noted that while we can't please everyone with the ads that are displayed, we do strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might not agree with. I'll forward your comments to our advertising department for review.

Thanks for your patience regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
matimat2010
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ridiculous, if it doesnt change soon we will try a different company. 

Disporsche

Jump to solution

Same here.

ComputerGuy7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree with these comments. I recommend that Roku changes their policy fast. I am going to consider alternatives as well.

I don't think a movie called "strip tease" should be advertised on the screen with a  naked woman. Just because she is sitting in such a way as to hide her certain areas of her body doesn't make it OK. It just goes from being sexually explicit to being sexually suggestive for my kids to see.

This is the type of ad expected inside an HBO channel or something like that. There should be a way to disable these promotions entirely or a pay to remove option.

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F 

I urge Roku/the advertising department to allow users to have some control over the content level of the ads shown on the home screen. For example, I am a middle-grade teacher who has a Roku TV in my classroom. I use the TV in place of a projector. Today, while wirelessly projecting my computer, I got booted to the home screen which displayed an ad for "Naked and Afraid" and had two naked people in an embrace in the ad. This isn't the kind of stuff I want on my screen for middle-schoolers. 

JimmyIV

Jump to solution

We use Roku devices at the church I work for, and having the potential for suggestive or violent ads in a preschool Sunday school classroom setting is giving us cause to look for alternatives. I enjoy Roku for its ease of use, but if there is a risk of exposing our kids to suggestive content, we will simply pull the plug on our Roku Express and use other means. Parental controls needs to extend to the advertising. 

scott_2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This just happened to us as well with our kids- exact same ad. THIS MUST STOP! I'll throw the TV right back in the best buy parking lot where I purchased it if Roku doesn't fix this. It's freaking 2021!!!! GET IT TOGETHER STUPID ROKU!!!!!! 

scott_2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F  - this is really an unacceptable answer. The ads that your team is approving for all user viewing are often highly offensive. If Roku can't fix this, then we're done with Roku. Please advise ASAP whether or not there will be a fix provided within 30 days or I'm returning my TV back to BestBuy - refund or not. Please advise. 

vidv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Another parent here. Not pleased with the inability to turn off the ads on this TV's main menu.