Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speckleboy
Level 7

Overscan

So i got a roku express + and my tv doesn't have overscan options to my knowledge. is there a way for the roku to fix this problem with composite. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Overscan

Nope. Overscan is completely at the control of the display. All you can do with a connected device is change the resolution being sent to the display.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Actually there are things that can be done but it is the apps that must take steps to correct the problem.

There was some discussion over on the Plex forums about this and, after some debate, the developer for the Plex Roku app added an overscan compensation in the settings menu. 

I do not have the problem but the users that did have reported that it works.

Now, having said that, it does not help those that are having the problem in other apps or in the menus. If the TV they are using does not have the ability to correct the overscan then the only option is to change the TV or change the streaming box to one that does have overscan abilities like the Fire TV or the Shield. Those are the only two that I know for sure can do it but, most probably, there are others.

If it can be done on the Shield and it can be done on the Fire and it can be done on the Roku inside apps then, clearly, it can be done on the Roku at the OS level. But Roku programmers are either not willing to do it or not able to do it or have been directed not to do it. 

The lack of an overscan adjustment in the Roku is just another example of the lack of quality in Roku's customer care system. Sure it is only a minority of folks that have TVs that need the adjustment BUT, after he was convinced it was needed, it took the Plex developer less that three hours to release a test version that worked correctly. Roku should provide an overscan adjustment in the settings but they probably will not because they do not care about the minority.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

Just a personal anecdote, but all my TVs only allow you to turn off overscan if connected to source via HDMI. All other sources (composite, component, even OTA TV) has overscan on at all times. Annoying, but not game breaking. Only a comparatively few pixels are lost with it on; you lose more if a source changes the aspect ratio from original 1.85 to 16:9.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

The overscan on my old TV was so bad that I just ended up frustratingly buying a new one. So a many Roku and Fire TV channels were creeping off the sides of the screen and I had no overscan fix for the TV. Bye bye, TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dwengert
Level 7

Very, very, very dodgy OS implementation on my Insignia Roku TV.  If my pc feeds it 4k, it crops.  No "Disable overscan" option.  If we wrote software like that, heads would roll.

Roku's s/w development management is for crap.  Send them back to whatever cesspool they came from.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"dwengert" wrote:
Very, very, very dodgy OS implementation on my Insignia Roku TV.  If my pc feeds it 4k, it crops.  No "Disable overscan" option.  If we wrote software like that, heads would roll.

Roku's s/w development management is for crap.  Send them back to whatever cesspool they came from.

I have two Roku TVs. My Insignia is only 720, but my Sharp is 4K. They both have picture size setting, but it's only available when playing media. You won't find it in the display menu options.  Press the * button, then look for Picture Size. Set that to Direct and there is no overscan. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos