Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nhkam
Level 7

Re: Overheating

Hi Danny,

I have a Premiere 4K & a Streaming Stick+ 4K.  Both overheat watching Amazon Prime on two different televisions.  I watch many different channels on both devices and Prime is the only one that overheats both.  I’ve tried Roku’s “fix” with both devices and it doesn’t solve the problem.  I recently received the Stick+ dongle and nothing changed with that device.  I’m in the process of returning my Premiere hoping it’s some thermal management issue that Roku has resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Nhkam 

Thanks for the note.

Have you tried placing the Streaming Stick in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit. 

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nhkam
Level 7

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply.  I can't figure out how to PM you but I tried what you asked and there was no difference.  The SN is YH00CW642082.  I took a pic of the secret screen after watching Prime for 45 minutes.  It didn't give me the overheat error but the temperature was 107C and hot to touch.

I'm a little reluctant to leave my email here but if you can PM me I can send you my email, the screen pic, and more details.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Nhkam 

I have sent you a PM and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dtbrim
Level 7

I had the worst and unhelpful service call. Attitude, no help offered, told to buy another product from a different company, then hung up on. Wow. That is some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I bought the most current Roku and it can't handle its only function of streaming without over heating. Then customer service tells me it is my fault while the previous Roku works fine. Nice Job. Apple and Amazon i guess here i come. Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@dtbrim wrote:

I had the worst and unhelpful service call. Attitude, no help offered, told to buy another product from a different company, then hung up on. Wow. That is some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I bought the most current Roku and it can't handle its only function of streaming without over heating. Then customer service tells me it is my fault while the previous Roku works fine. Nice Job. Apple and Amazon i guess here i come. Sad

Where did you get the phone number for customer service? If you did a web search, you most likely weren't talking to genuine Roku support. If they had called you based on a contact from here, then it could have been Roku. But that doesn't sound like something they'd do, unless it was some employee that was quitting at the end of their shift. While their phone support isn't super technically able to help (they just read from scripts mostly), I haven't heard of them being that rude.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Spruce01
Level 7

Overheating

This Ultra is my third generation Roku and my experience has been very good overall.

The Ultra overheats and it's a problem. It's not in an enclosure, not near other devices, not exposed to sunlight and under voltage is not an issue. It just overheats so I put a fan on it. 

I don't thing there is an answer here.  It's just going to be a continuing annoyance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Spruce01  Thanks for reaching out. A few more questions here to help understand the behavior you're seeing:

- What channel(s) or service(s) are you using when you observe this issue occurring?

- Are you using the original power adapter included with your device?

- Have you installed any private, non-certified channels on your device? 

With more information, we can see what other options we have available to help. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LauraB
Level 7

I’m not sure what to do... My device worked great for more than 6 months and now it states it’s overheating. Switched the Roku stick device from the bedroom to the living room and it worked fine for a few weeks and the same thing happened.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@LauraB 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick that is overheating, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos