Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GypsyR
Level 8

Re: Overheating

If you mean Android TV, yes that's what I was looking at in the Hisense H9F I mentioned. Though in essence it means there is the equivalent of a small underpowered Android tablet with (I imagine) a minimum of memory to work with in it. As I suspect does a Bravia too. So not so different from having some extra Roku hardware in there I would think. From an extra stuff that might fail point of view. Except for all this "Roku overheating" business.

In the case of my dead TV I really suspect the Roku's problems were more just symptoms of a larger problem. Power supply overheating or something. So I don't actually BLAME the Roku for the failure. Unless an autopsy shows otherwise anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jrflying
Level 7

I am also having a problem with my Roku stick overheating only while using Amazon Prime

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Jrflying 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/226794787-what-should-i-do-if-the-red-light-is-on-or-i-see-a-your-d...

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jrflying
Level 7

Danny, I have the extender and have done everything that Roku suggests. It works fine will all Apps except Amazon Prime. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kareni320
Level 7

Re: Roku HD player running REALLY hot

I was using my Roku last night for about 2.5 hours when a WARNING message popped up in my tv that my Roku device was hot?  What is this about?  Is Roku recalling them?  Seems like fire hazard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
suscarlet
Level 7

What exactly do you mean by an extender?  I have the same issue, with my tv being an older LG tv the only HDMI port is located near where the Roku is plugged in.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@suscarlet wrote:

What exactly do you mean by an extender?  I have the same issue, with my tv being an older LG tv the only HDMI port is located near where the Roku is plugged in.  

Roku offers a free HDMI extension cable to move the Stick slightly away from the display. It's only about a foot long, but does move the Stick away from any potential electromagnetic interference, as well as away from any heat radiating from the display. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku HD player running REALLY hot

@Kareni320 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am having the same problem.  My tv says that the roku stick is overheating.  This is on a new 50" Samsung Smart tv...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ChrisMcMonster 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos