Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Overheating

I have a TCL roku smart tv model 5110x And it displayed a warning that my tv was overheating should I be worried
0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheRisingPHX
Level 7

After receiving a HDMI extender for my 3810R, that dropped my idle temps in the 70C's range and at load on a 8k video on YouTube it went into low 90C's but never alerted me of overheating on that same video as before. My idle temps before were high 80C's and load over 100C. So definitely an improvement with extender. Now ordered for my other 3800RT after seeing these improvements.
Highlighted
YooperDan
Level 7

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I will contact ROKU and order the extender. I was hoping to have the TV floating on the wall with no wires showing but that may not be possible.  I have read that some users were getting very frustrated and contemplating drilling vent holes in the plastic jacket but that would definitely destroy the warranty.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
YooperDan
Level 7

I tried to locate the manual for the 5110X and found it lacking in technical information.  Realizing that it has ROKU functionality built in, it probably has the ROKU chip set and associated software drivers as well.  

To be direct with my answer, heat kills computer components so you should be concerned.  Search the net and see if you can find the remote key sequences and check the temps and the software release.  If the TCL is a smart TV, you might be able to access the various services directly and not go thru ROKU.  My Sony has all the services that I use except for Apple + and that is supposedly being worked on.  

At least with the sticks, there is the HDMI extender which drops the temps some but it is not a fix.  As noted in a response from TherisingPHX, their temps into the 70c range but IMHO, 150 to 175 degrees is way to hot to be running a chipset.  Only a matter of time till a circuit blows.

sorry about the information.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Momthulhu
Level 7

Danny, how do I get ahold of you, as well? I have 2 Roku Streaming Sticks that overheat. I'm looking for solutions and have already been scammed by a 3rd party online chat bot once.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Momthulhu 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/226794787-what-should-i-do-if-the-red-light-is-on-or-i-see-a-your-d...

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
GypsyR
Level 8

That was apparently the first warning sign for my TCl. It eventually died completely. Nothing works on it now but the light on the power button. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
YooperDan
Level 7

GypsyR,

Sorry to hear that you television died.  You didn't mention how old it was but I guess it is not more than a few years old.  I believe that there are several problems with one their network and in my case one with the new quad core processor that is in my stick.  The have recommended the complimentary 3 inch hdmi extension cable and I received it quickly, within two days.  UNFORTUNATELY, it only dropped the temperature reported by the ROKU by 5 degrees.  I can't boil water anymore just keep the pot warm.  

My recommendation would be to NOT purchase a TV with an internal ROKU.  This technology is changing so rapidly that a year from now, the internal system maybe obsolete.

Good luck with finding the right replacement.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GypsyR
Level 8

Not a huge deal as we kept our old Vizio and the TCL didn't cost too terribly much.

Most moderately priced decent TV's seem to include either Roku or a propriety "smart" system. Becasue it went outdated and we couldn't change any of the apps is why the Vizio was retired. I actually went to Best Buy and waded through all the Samsungs on the floor to see about an HiSense H9F. The H9F uses Android for its apps. Sold out and none available. Salesperson asked wondered aloud why the Hisenses were selling out when they weren't even on sale (Black Friday) and hardly anyone was buying the Samsungs. I swore off buying anything Samsung makes ever again a couple of years ago.

Second choice is a TCL R6 model. But since one would be related the the one that just died AND have that onboard Roku again we're pretty iffy on that. Really thinking of just watching the sales and probably holding out for the Superbowl time frame sales. 

Our dead TCL is just pushed to the side currently. One day I'll crack it open and have a looksee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
YooperDan
Level 7

I have a Sony Bravia and the onboard Os comes from Google.  If I may, give the sets with the Google OS a look.  I run everything that I run on ROKU except Apple TV.  If you find something that is not available, you can always add an external stick if you want.  Best idea is gave as little inside the TV as possible.  Good Luck Jedi Knight!

0 Kudos