Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechGeekLady
Level 7

Re: Overheating

Thank you for the tech info. We have several Roku Express+ (model 3910X). One is a little over a year old, and we have had to start using ice packs under them to be able to stream ANYTHING!

It started with the app Sling. We would be watching it for an hour, then get an error that told us 'connection lost'. If we kept watching the movie/show, we would get kicked out to Roku home.

I had noticed the the Roku devices were running really hot, even if I was chilly. I finally came up with the ice pack (the freezer packs, reuse-able) in a ziplock to cool it. It works, Until the pack gets cool.

Now I have had to buy multiple packs to keep frozen, (my beloved is a TV addict) so when the Roku acts up I can keep his streaming going.

We use the Cox monthly/no contract Internet service to stream with, have been using Roku apps to watch TV with. Did not notice so many problems when we were using contract Cox/Direct TV.

Have been unplugging the unused Roku from its USB connection when it is not in use. It takes about 45 minutes for the errors to start. Do not get a red light on the Roku (just a blueish reddish {almost indigo}, or overheating error on the screen.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@GypsyR 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS.

You can reach TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@TechGeekLady 

Couple of questions to get a better understanding of your device setup:
- Where is your device being placed? Is it near other electronics devices? Is it being placed in a cabinet or closed space?
- Have you tried plugging your Roku devices with the wall adapter instead of using the USB connection?

Please keep us posted so we can continue to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cripper1
Level 7

My problem is Prime Video...I can stream any app all day and not have a problem...5 to 10 minutes into anything on prime ...I get the message that my roku is heating up???
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

We have some tips here that may help when you encounter that type of message: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you've already tried the steps listed, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, device and serial number of your device from Settings>System>About and I'll be able to assist your further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
GypsyR
Level 7

The TCL website is one of those sites where they throw all the FAQ type questions out there and force you to conform to them. Sort of. So if you have a question out of the norm then it gets difficult and you have to resort to email. A strategy where they (hope) the website runs along with the least possible actual human intervention.

Which means I have to give Roku a big thumbs up for at least having an actual (active!) human being onsite and paying attention.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos