Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horatio
Level 7

Re: Overheating

I purchased mine thru a 'deal' directly from the Roku site. Never lasts more than 1/2 hour. And yes I have it on an extender, hanging out 10 inches from the tv, in free air and using their supplied power adapter. I have 6 roku's and this one will go in the trash can. I bought this one to replace an old blue one that was getting flakey. Guess I go firestick

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@horatio wrote:

I purchased mine thru a 'deal' directly from the Roku site. Never lasts more than 1/2 hour. And yes I have it on an extender, hanging out 10 inches from the tv, in free air and using their supplied power adapter. I have 6 roku's and this one will go in the trash can. I bought this one to replace an old blue one that was getting flakey. Guess I go firestick

That sounds like it's defective then. If you've had it less than an year, it's under warranty and I suggest you request a replacement. I've used my Stick on hotel TVs with it powered up the entire time I'm there (3-4 days) without any heating or reboot issues. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@horatio 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Have you tried placing the Streaming Stick in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit.

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
horatio
Level 7

Thank You for your response,

I have done all that and more. I designed and printed a clip on fan frame with the fan spaced 2 inches from the stick, that only bought me maybe 10 minutes more before the stick crapped out. I have requested and received a RMA and hope to get it sent in the mail today. I do have one question,

Why didn't the engineers add cooling vents to the housing? The board transfers the heat to the housing, but the major heat is trapped internally. All my previous roku sticks ( older models, which 2 of which are still working) had the vents.

As per the many posts across the web, multiple people are having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Swaterfo
Level 7

Same exact thing happened to me watching prime! This hasn’t happened in the month prior, when I hadn’t yet watched any prime. So bizarre. I’m going to let it cool and then plug it into the tv instead of the $60 hdmi switchbox. I hope that works. I’m inclined to think it’s prime related!
0 Kudos
tapuleo
Level 7

This also only happens to me when using Amazon Prime Video. We watch a lot of Netflix and Hulu with no issues at all. Prime pauses and buffers a lot, and we get the overheating message. I have 2 Roku Streaming Sticks and they both do it only on Prime. It's frustrating, for sure.

0 Kudos
horatio
Level 7

Mine overheated on Everything that i streamed, Including the screen saver. Just being powered up. 3 different tv's, extended in mid-air. I've returned it under an RMA, waiting for a replacement. IMHO I think it is a questionable design. BTW I also have the latest Roku Premier and it has NO issues

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@horatio 

Thanks for getting back to me with your responses.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Gbuch
Level 7

Mine is overheating. I have a Roku3 that never gets hot, might have brain fart now and again. Bought a new Express and that thing is hot from the get go. I have it hanging with a fan on it and I still get s fuzzy picture and it's warm to hot even when I dont use it. So I don't use it, is just $40 must wasted nesr me tv
0 Kudos
GypsyR
Level 7

Mine is a 50 inch TCL TC with Roku built in that's showing me an overheating message. So an extension cable won't help me. It started out just doing it once or twice, now it's constant. Tried reset and unplugging for a while, nothing helps. Nothing we can change in settings to help either it seems. All links to complaints I've seen refer solely to problems with a plug-in stick, not the TV's.

So at this point it looks like we need to replace the TV (with a different brand) to get rid of the overheating message.

0 Kudos