Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prinsus1966
Level 7

Re: Overheating

Hello,

I purchased a Roku Express a few weeks ago.  Because our tv is old and only has one HDMI outlet I purchased a HDMI Switcher.  This one to be exact:  Fosmon HD1832 Intelligent 5x1 5-Port HDMI Switch/Switcher with IR Remote and Level VI AC Adapter Supports 3D.  I have the Exchanger plugged into the the HDMI on the back of the TV and then my Xbox and Roku plugged into the Exchanger.  I have the Roku power plugged into the USB port on the back of the TV for power and the exchanger is getting power from the HDMI port I assume because I don't have any other power source to it.

Last week we watched a few episodes of a program on the Roku through Amazon video prime and then received notification on the Roku screen that it was overheating.  I unplugged like it suggested but still the message came up.

I have also watched 10 - 12 episodes of another program through Netflix on the Roku and never a problem.

I should also mention that the exhanger and roku are sitting out on a shelf so there isn't any other heat source close to either unit to make it hot.

Any suggestions to why it is overheating?

Thanks,

Susan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 9

I can't say why it might cause overheating, but I'd try the power adapter that came with the Express rather than using the USB port on your TV.

-JT
DubTaylor
Level 10

"renojim" wrote:
I can't say why it might cause overheating, but I'd try the power adapter that came with the Express rather than using the USB port on your TV.

-JT

I can (in theory):

When the supply voltages from an inadequate power supply (like the one in your TV) tank, physics demands the current has to go up and this makes things hot.
Could also be a bad unit, but Jim's suggestion of using the proper power supply is a great one - to remove at least one of the possibilities. Also if the inadequate power supply in the TV self emulates the TV will go dark permanently - generally considered a bad thing and will be a LOT more costly to replace than a cheap stick.
Amy_R
Level 7

We noticed we get messages that streaming stick is overheating when we watch movies on Movies Anywhere app.
Can an app cause an overheating problem?
Or can watching movies cause overheating?
0 Kudos

I'm posting this as a follow-up since having received the HDMI extender cable last week.  The net result is a drop in temperature of approximately 8 degrees Celsius, as reported the device's "secret screen" in an operating state as close to idle (sitting at the secret screen for an extended period of time) as possible.  This results in the device idling at around 90 degrees Celsius, as reported by its own sensor, which still seems incredibly high for such a device.  By comparison, a Roku 3600X I have idles at around 64 degrees Celsius.

Someone else in this thread suggested using another power supply and reverting to that supplied with the Roku, but changing power supplies didn't alter the measurements.  Using a considerably more robust one I had for powering small SBCs, a switching power supply capable of supplying voltages at an amperage well in excess (5V @ 3 amps) of the power supplies provided by Roku, also showed no change in idle temperature. 

Besides the moderate change in idle temperature, I noticed an undesirable side effect in the use of the HDMI extender.  The image displayed by the 3800x is overscanned by a noticeable amount when connected to the display through the extender.  I've had other HDMI extenders in the past, including some right-angle varieties, that I've used to attach Roku stick devices to displays that had their HDMI input ports at inconvenient locations and I found they are often hit-or-miss with cheaper ones not properly supporting certain resolutions or corrupting the output in some other way.  Even so, I expected Roku might have more carefully selected an extender capable of avoiding such problems given that there is no way to compensate for over/underscanning (that I'm aware of) on the Roku but, considering they are giving these away free, I imagine this extender was deemed good enough for their cost.  Coincidentally, the 2nd. generation Chromecast I have suffers from the very same problem on any of the displays to which I've connected it.  Kodi boxes allow you to make adjustments like this easily so I don't know what's prevented Roku and Google from including such a feature.

All this aside, forum readers will probably want to know whether these apparent heat-related problems have abated since using this Roku 3800X with the HDMI extender furnished by Roku.  While the extender did result in a drop in idle temperature, assuming I can believe these high temperature readings reported by the device itself, I found no combination of extender or power supply (whether Roku's, various external switching types, or the display's USB port) alleviated the previously observed problems.  I'm still observing the same symptoms at roughly the same frequency.  Despite lowering the idle temperature a small amount by using the extender, I think the 3800x's idle and operating temperature are so high to begin with that the small temperature reduction introduced by the extender is simply not enough to address the problem.

Another post on this thread raises the question as to whether certain apps or activities can trigger some of these problems.  Even though it's not possible to conclude this unequivocally without observing a Roku device in a development setup in order to monitor process loads, operating temperatures, and so forth during program execution, I'm inclined to say yes based on observation of the same apps running on many different Roku devices.  The 1st. generation "Streaming Stick" (such as the Roku 3400/3500 model sticks in the blue colored shell) struggled to run apps such as Sling and Amazon Prime Video, taking far longer to load, exhibiting stuttering during playback, and likely keeping their slower CPUs running at their highest oscillating frequency for extended durations (and generating more heat because of it), compared to something like the 4200X (a tabletop Roku device with a considerably faster CPU).  So, while the 1st. gen. Streaming Stick appeared worse in terms of performance and frequency of crashes compared to the newer Roku devices I have, one might wonder how another device with more in terms of electronic resources to apply toward apps, such as the 3800X, could suffer from similar problems as the 1st. gen. Streaming Stick.  My guess is the form factor of the sticks is a problem.  The 3800X seems as responsive and quick as a 4200X, while also providing some features the 4200X lacks, into a shell a fraction of the size of the 4200X, and it does so without any apparent provisions for ventilation.  I'm surprised by this because the older 3400/3500 model sticks had slots for ventilation along two entire sides.  Given that Roku has tacitly acknowledged thermal problems with its devices, I'd be curious to know what lead to the decision that eliminated ventilation slots from newer devices like the 3800X.  Could dust have been considered that much a problem?

I'm still hoping Roku finally addresses these stability problems with its devices, whether ultimately heat-induced or otherwise, because I have used numerous Chromecast and Kodi devices and find them all lacking in too many respects, despite their greater stability, to replace the Rokus I have.
0 Kudos
Gmath
Level 7

I have the same problem. The tv flashes when it overheats but it only overheats when the roku is plugged into the tv. Any idea? It's a Samsung plasma 40" also.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"Gmath" wrote:
I have the same problem.  The tv flashes when it overheats but it only overheats when the roku is plugged into the tv. Any idea? It's a Samsung plasma 40" also.

Do you mean the Roku is connected to a USB port on the TV for power? Many TVs don't offer enough power in their USB ports to adaquitely power a Roku Stick. Try using the wall adapter that came with the Roku. If that's not what you meant, then please explain further. If the Roku isn't connected to a TV, how do you know it's overheating?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
BruceGerald
Level 7

I have 4 other streaming sticks.
This new one I just received runs at least 2-3 times hotter.
0 Kudos
Brattoo
Level 7

I just bought a Roku streaming stick this week. Received it Wednesday. Thursday I kept getting the message on my tv that it was overheating within the first hour of usage. I checked the recommendations. It is plugged into the back of my tv, a good 8 inches away from the wall. I don’t have it near anything else. I have had the tv off all day and unplugged the stick to take a look at it, and it was very warm. The metal part of it was hot. I did just order the extension, however I am concerned over how warm it is even when everything is turned off. Should there be cause for concern?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Brattoo" wrote:
I just bought a Roku streaming stick this week. Received it Wednesday. Thursday I kept getting the message on my tv that it was overheating within the first hour of usage. I checked the recommendations. It is plugged into the back of my tv, a good 8 inches away from the wall. I don’t have it near anything else. I have had the tv off all day and unplugged the stick to take a look at it, and it was very warm. The metal part of it was hot. I did just order the extension, however I am concerned over how warm it is even when everything is turned off. Should there be cause for concern?

The heat might be caused by the TV/port. See if the extender fixes this. The Roku gets warm, but shouldn't get hot.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos