Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LauraB

How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

My device has worked great for more than 6 months and now it states that it’s overheating. I switched the Roku stick device from the bedroom to the living room and it worked fine for a few weeks and the same thing happened. How can I fix this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

@LauraB 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: 'What should I do if the red light is on or I see a "Your device is overheating” warning?'

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick that is overheating, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that in our support article 'How to improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless internet connection to your Roku® streaming device'.

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,

Danny

Other topics that you might find helpful:

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

182 REPLIES 182
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@LauraB 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: 'What should I do if the red light is on or I see a "Your device is overheating” warning?'

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick that is overheating, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that in our support article 'How to improve the Wi-Fi® or wireless internet connection to your Roku® streaming device'.

Thanks,

Danny

Other topics that you might find helpful:

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
okaussie3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I had my Streaming Stick + overheating only on 4K UHD videos.  Got the Free Cord Extender from Roku and that fixed my issue.

Seems the heat from the TV was being transferred via the HDMI connection to the Stick.

I added the extender and no heat, now, is being transferred.

Bill

markc1960

Jump to solution

I use the stick and can not watch it for anything over 3 hours because of over heating, please help

0 Kudos
robg999
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem. There is a long backlog for the free HDMI extender -- if I was going to purchase one, what are the specs -- will anything labeled as a "Male-Female" HDMI extender work?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes.  Here's an example.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jackk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@markc1960 

Make sure your stick is NOT plugged directly into the TV but use the short extender. Also, do not use the USB on the TV but use the wall adapter for power.  Good luck.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@markc1960 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick that is overheating, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website, and troubleshooting your wireless network to see if you can resolve the connection issue. See more tips for that here.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Roku getting hot,no red button flashing ,unplugged it for the night then plugged it back in the morning ,still getting hot and a message popped up when I first plugged it in and said hot but it wasn't and ive never seen anything about it overheating .

ECS

Jump to solution

I have been dealing with mine overheating so I filled out the online form to request the free HDMI extender but it will not accept the SN that I am entering.  I am carefully entering it but no luck.  Any suggestions?