Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cfleischer
Reel Rookie

Re: Overheating

Jump to solution

The serial number submitted is incorrect. The serial number can be located on the back of your Roku Streaming Stick.

I have tried 5 times and cannot get this to go through.

0 Kudos
sz1968

Jump to solution

Hi my roku was overheating and even without TV on, it is hot.

Also when I try to order a  free HDMI extention, it keeps saying that the SN is incorrect even thought I give the exact SN from the back of the ROKU device

0 Kudos
dianelmt

Re: Stick keeps over heating

Jump to solution

I have the HDMI extender and my stick still overheats. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The extender didn’t prevent my rocky premier from getting extremely hot. The power cord is extremely hot also.

0 Kudos
nkace

Jump to solution

I already had an extender as that is the only way to reach the plug in for the tv. I don't understand why it is so hot when not in the sun & not near other electrical devices. What will happen if it stays this hot all the time? Should I put it in the fridge or on ice?

0 Kudos
LadyGirl

Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried to order the free HDMI extender on your website.  But, when I try to continue, the order dose not go to the next page.  Help!

Beth

0 Kudos
Danno777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue for me. Filled out form correctly, but clicking "continue" has no effected. tried to enter using iPhone , the MacBook . Still no luck. Emailed support team. Waiting for response. They say it'll come within 24 hrs. We'll see.

0 Kudos
Reich

Re: Stick keeps over heating

Jump to solution

We are using extender and it has been fine for about 6 weeks but now is overheating again.  What should we try next?

0 Kudos
OG
Binge Watcher

Re: Overheating Message

Jump to solution

I received the overheating warning just this morning on my Roku Premier. As some others have mentioned, the device is NOT located by any heat source, and is well ventilated. I have noticed the device runs hot right from the beginning. I also have a streaming stick +, and although I've not seen an overheating warning, that also gets quite hot.

I found the one post by lshtiaque interesting wherein it was observed that reducing the resolution to 1080p (from 4k) helped reduce the overheating issue, which makes sense. The higher the resolution and/or frame rate, the higher the data rate resulting in more power dissipation.

It appears that more attention needs to be paid to thermal management in the design itself.

Regards, an old electrical engineer.

Dubulla

Jump to solution

TL;DR Great product but if you have the overheating message then send it back for a replacement.

I had this problem with the Roku Streaming Stick + 4K HDR that I bought in August 2020 and want to share my experience. 

Running 4K content on Disney+ or Netflix would result in the Roku shutting down after about 10-15 minutes. It would then re-boot.

Stick was plugged into the USB power on the TV which runs at 900mA but as the adapter has a 1000mA (IIRC) rating then I assumed the power available from the TV USB port was not sufficient to run 4K and this was causing the shut-down / re-boot.

Used the power adapter provided and the shut-down / re-boot stopped but then received the overheating message in the top-right-hand corner. This would come and go periodically. Looking in the secret menu showed the device at 117C 

I added some Raspberry Pi heatsinks to the outside of the stick and moved the stick away from the TV (approx. 10cm), which reduced the heat by a few degrees but I still got the overheating message.

I took the device back to the shop (had owned it less than 1 month) and exchanged it for a new one.

Plugged it in (used the Roku power adapter!) and all is good! No overheating message!

Seems that there is some variance in the quality of the chips on the sticks; some will overheat more than others. 

BTW, the HDMI extender is only about 10cm long, so probably not long enough to make a difference. It is also shipped in a large-ish box from the US so save the planet and buy a longer extender from Amazon if you think it will help!

0 Kudos