Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Overheating from short HDMI?

Jump to solution

Hello @alnagy

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Since you have a Roku Express which isn't connected directly to the back of your TV, as @renojim has said it will do nothing to resolve the issue.

No worries, I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

Thank you for choosing Roku and have a great day!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
wannagosleddin
Reel Rookie

Re: Stick keeps over heating

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I am sure I am entering the correct Serial # 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @wannagosleddin

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
When inputting the serial number, we would suggest making sure to put zeros instead of the letter O. Please note as well that serial numbers usually start with "YH". To know your device's exact serial number, navigate to Settings > System > About.

If still no luck, reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku stick for further assistance.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Streaming Stick + is about 1-3/4 years old, purchased April 2020.  Recently, it started overheating...warning message appears on-screen in the upper right hand corner.  When working, it is operating at 88-92C (secret screen).The TV is not in an enclosure and the room temp is 68F (20C).  The extender that ROKU supplied made no difference in temperature.  

SKU# 3810RW (3810X)
LOT#2141018097

Device ID
22502D028565

The gob of heat transfer putty inside has migrated inside the device and no longer making good contact with the heat/RF shield inside the case. Yes, I disassembled the device.  This is a design issue, IMO.

In comparison, a brand new 3820R, operates at 64 - 66C.  I won't be surprised if the same issue appears in a year or 2 of operation, since the heat dissipation is engineered the same in the 3820R as in the 3810X.

You can pass that along to the engineering team.

As for solutions, I found a USB powered fan w/ on-off switch and speed control, that I can plug into the TV's USB port that will only power on with TV.  That lowers the temp of the 3810X around 10 degrees.

Perhaps some ventilation of the case, i.e. some some slots of holes in the unvented case, will help a bit.

0 Kudos
Jorgeweg

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

Hi, My situation is similar. A couple of years ago I was gifted 2 ROKU PREMIERE and one of them started popping up that the warning that the device was overheating. The warning would go off after less than 30 seconds and get back on after a few minutes. (NO RED LIGHT)_ The other device has been working fine until today.

I implemented all the recommendations and installed longer HDMI cables. The problem persisted, although with apparently slightly lower frequency.

For your information the device is MODEL: 3920X; SN: K428D8055825

Can you please help me?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @Jorgeweg

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
wannagosleddin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Jorgeweg,

I didn't have the patience to put anymore time into this. I believe it is an issue with Roku. I purchased a new one, so far so good.

0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The only permanent solution for my stick overheating was to add heat sinks to the device and an external cooling fan.  I see that others with the ROKU Premier set top box has made similar mods to permanently resolve the problem with  overheating devices - a problem which other brand streaming devices also appear to have.

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have 4 Roku sticks. Never had any of them over heat. Install heat sinks? Seriously? 

0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, seriously.  There are YouTube videos of modifying ROKU sticks to add heat sinks and adding heat sinks and fans to the ROKU boxes to eliminate the overheating problem.

0 Kudos