Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

On/off, audio remote, resale ?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have just gotten a new Express.   I don't know what number series it is but I just got it from Roku (06.2020), not from a retailer.

1.  Is there an on/off switch in there somewhere?
    I haven't found it.

2.  I'd like to get audio out to my existing speaker system.  Which remote with the headphone output
     will work with my Express?   

3.  If I must upgrade from the Express to use a remote with the headphone jack, can I sell the Express
     or is it tied to my Roku account?

Thank you!

stv

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: On/off, audio remote, resale ?

Jump to solution

Get the model number from Settings->System->About.  There are too many "Expresses".  I can answer 1 and 3 and @Tivoburkee is the best person to answer 2 (if you give him the model number).

1. - There is no power button. It's meant to be on all the time.  It uses very little power when it's idle and it will receive updates overnight.

3. - You can sell it or give it away.  You'll want to perform a factory reset and log into your Roku account and unlink it first.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

No headphone jack equipped remote will work with any express model, sorry. Anyways that horrible way to get audio to sound system via the headphone jack remote, the batteries would be dead in hour or two. 

I would keep the express and buy hdmi switch with audio extractor:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch+with+audio+extractor&crid=1NXOPU1MDTOUR&sprefix=hdmi+switch+w...

Edmund

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Get the model number from Settings->System->About.  There are too many "Expresses".  I can answer 1 and 3 and @Tivoburkee is the best person to answer 2 (if you give him the model number).

1. - There is no power button. It's meant to be on all the time.  It uses very little power when it's idle and it will receive updates overnight.

3. - You can sell it or give it away.  You'll want to perform a factory reset and log into your Roku account and unlink it first.

Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

No headphone jack equipped remote will work with any express model, sorry. Anyways that horrible way to get audio to sound system via the headphone jack remote, the batteries would be dead in hour or two. 

I would keep the express and buy hdmi switch with audio extractor:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch+with+audio+extractor&crid=1NXOPU1MDTOUR&sprefix=hdmi+switch+w...

Edmund

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Excellent infos, thank you very much!

stv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Of course, I hadn't thought about the batteries.

Wonderful, thanks for the link!

stv

0 Kudos