Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 8

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
If you guys knew how many permutations I've tried with my 4630 on OS 9 to get any of these audio options to appear, you'd hand me a cold beer for my efforts!

Seriously, I've tried it all. Tried forcing the thing to stereo instead of Auto in the main options, tried at least a dozen different apps x dozens of different videos/streams, rebooted multiple times, physically cycled power multiple times, checked for updates through Settings, checked for updates through the hidden menu, etc. etc. etc.

What they have described in that article is simply nowhere to be found in this 4072 build. iFrog mentioned being on the 4083 build with his 4660, so it appears that he has a slightly newer release than I do. My hunch remains that they botched the audio settings in 4072 and fixed them in 4083.

PS - I have not resorted to factory resetting the 4630, nor will I go down that path. Every other feature is working exactly as expected and I've been lucky enough with this thing that I've experienced almost none of the other popular bugs that get reported frequently. My YouTube app works perfectly, never signs me out, as do all of the other apps. I am not going to tempt fate by doing a factory reset of a device that is otherwise working perfectly. I'll wait for the next OS update, it is what it is.

Hey, just thought I would post another update. My Premiere+, and streaming stick got OS 9.0.0 build 4084 today.  I checked, and the advanced options don't show up on my Premiere+ as they do on my 2017 Ultra.  I would guess it's an issue specific to the older hardware, as I did change to stereo output from auto, and that didn't change anything.
I remember you saying that you tried everything, and were pointing at the 072 release.  This doesn't appear to be the case of an entire release gone bad.  This rather appears to either be bugs on certain devices, and not others, or certain devices not supporting specific features.  Maybe someone else can comment.
0 Kudos

Well, that's certainly disappointing, as they clearly stated that those volume options would be available on all of the models listed below. In typical Roku fashion, it seems that we have yet another OS release that made it out the door without being fully tested first.

What devices support volume modes?

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

what happened to the night listening mode for the Roku Ultra 4640? it was there on os 8.1 then today I updated to OS 9 and it's gone. needless to say it has me considering moving to another platform unless Roku plans to fix this oversight. I get not adding some new features but taking away a used feature is just wrong, especially when newer devices not only retain the feature but actually gain auto volume....label me rather angry at this
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

My Roku Premiere+ got the 9.0 update as well and it removed the audio options too. 

This is most annoying. Hope it gets patched soon. No Night Listening or the new Audio Leveling mode.

On the plus side.... SPOTIFY free!
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

I can't speak for everyone here regarding the audio options.  However for me personally, it's not something I ever used.  I can enabled night mode on my sound bars though which reduces bass and other loud sounds, so while the Premiere+ may not support it, I have support for similar features in the audio receivers themselves.  I would personally have more gripes if things were unstable.

However, for those looking for the features in the Roku itself, hopefully questions will be answered sometime soon.

FYI, I did a test on the Streaming stick I have model 3600R, and hitting the "options button" during playback brings up something completely different from the ultra, and Premiere+.
Looks like things function based on model of player being used.  Also, FYI, the audio mode options seem to be gone on the Premiere+ in Settings:Audio, so this doesn't seem to be just an options button difference.  I have to say inspire of the advanced audio options issue, the Premiere+ has been solid with the update installed, been using it a few hours without issues.
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"wildsprite" wrote:
hey RokuShawnS[/url:1rgdd7i4] can you find out why they removed the volume features from the 4640? this ...

The 4640, is the 2016 Ultra correct?  I know the volume options are gone from my 4630 (premiere+), and Streaming Stick 3600R, however my 4660 Has them.  I was curious, as other people with the 2016 Ultra have upgraded to OS 9.0.0, and have not reported the audio options missing.  In my experience it's been the Premiere+ users (including myself.)
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

yes the 4640 is the 2016 ultra, I'm not going to move to the 2017 or 2018 ultra, they removed optical audio out and cut the channel memory in half in those. which is ok if you don't have a lot of channels but I do. and no a micro SD is not a solution, the built in memory is much faster
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"wildsprite" wrote:
yes the 4640 is the 2016 ultra, I'm not going to move to the 2017 or 2018 ultra, they removed optical audio out and cut the channel memory in half in those. which is ok if you don't have a lot of channels but I do. and no a micro SD is not a solution, the built in memory is much faster

OK, My needs are different, so I haven't noticed any of the issues others have reported, and personally I'm glad the optical port, and Dolby encoder is gone.  In my setup it caused issues with the TV, and Roku trying to both do the same thing.  Now The TV handles converting DD+ to standard DD, and I Have the TV's optical out connected to the sound bar so all connected devices pass through.  Plus I have a Sony Android TV as my 4K display and it can pass all standard formats (DD, and DTS 5.1) through optical.  If I want lossless audio I use the Sony X700 which has two HDMI outs, and then has the same Streaming Services I use on the Roku that can pass DD+.  I mainly still hold onto Roku as a product for the unique channels other devices don't have, plus overall it's a good platform, though for other features I like, other products are better.
That's another reason the loss of the audio options on the Premiere+ doesn't personally bug me, I have the same feature in the sound receiver itself, and that's usually what I use. (if I use it at all)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"wildsprite" wrote:
hey RokuShawnS[/url:1r7ogx87] can you find out why they removed the volume features from the 4640? this ...

https://support.roku.com/article/228844 ... ease-notes
Key Roku OS 9 features:

• Automatic Volume Leveling – This feature enables a uniform audio level across various types of content, so it will no longer feel jarring when a commercial comes on or when streaming channels are changed. This feature can be turned on/off within the Volume Mode setting that appears in the options menu after pressing the Star button  during video playback. Automatic Volume Leveling is available on select Roku streaming players and Roku TV models. Click here[/url:1r7ogx87] for more information on Automatic Volume Leveling and supported devices.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos