Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

I honestly don't know how they do it.  I think it's random.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
I honestly don't know how they do it.  I think it's random.

thank you for your honesty. I think if it is random it truly sucks, after trying OS9 on my cousin's Roku Express I want it, having Spotify back as well as the theme management, screen saver management and remote management is nice. I don't suppose there is a way you can help me get it sooner on my Roku Ultra 4640? probably not but I figured I would ask anyway

if it helps I'm fully ok with being a test subject for things like this
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"wildsprite" wrote:

if it helps I'm fully ok with being a test subject for things like this

You might consider signing up for their beta tester program. Of all the beta builds I've tested I've only encountered a critical problem once, and it was addressed fairly quickly. RokuShawn might be able to advise you how to apply. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

You can sign up at https://rokutestingportal.centercode.com.  I don't know if they're currently accepting applications or not, but since we're nearing the complete rollout of 9.0, it shouldn't be too much longer before they start going through the applications again and adding more (we always need more).  Be sure to fill out any and ALL applications on centercode, and put in as much information on your local environment as possible (TV make/model, receiver make/model, et al).

I can also put in a word or two to the Beta Coordinators to get you on the Beta Testing list (no guarantees though). They want active participants willing to dedicate time each day/week to providing feedback and bug-discovery.  If you're only in it for new or preview builds, however, I don't advise it.  NDA's can seriously impact how you post on public forums (such as here).  atc98092 just said about as much as he's able to say due to NDA, for example :mrgreen:
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yeah, I was watching my tongue  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 9

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Firmware rollouts happen in batches to measure stability of the build.

Right on Shawn.

I look forward eagerly to OS9 coming to my Ultra4640X.  Automatic Volume Leveling sounds spectacular, as does getting Spotify back.  

Most of all I hope the unbearable audio screech on content changes
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112681
will be gone that was introduced by an update a couple years ago.  This, incidentally, is a example of why I (as a programmer myself) honor Roku's wise decision to rollout OS9 gradually!
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

"radar244" wrote:
as soon as i updated to os9 my remote constantly stops communicating with my Roku.
if i pull a battery and put it back in it will usually start working for a few min. this never happened before the update.
i have a roku ultra 2017.
anyone else seeing this or have a fix.
thanks

I'm having the same issue with my Stick 3800. After 24 hours the Roku can't see the remote to pair it anymore.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
wildsprite
Level 9

"coyote2" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Right on Shawn.

I look forward eagerly to OS9 coming to my Ultra4640X.  Automatic Volume Leveling sounds spectacular, as does getting Spotify back.  

Most of all I hope the unbearable audio screech on content changes
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=112681
will be gone that was introduced by an update a couple years ago.  This, incidentally, is a example of why I (as a programmer myself) honor Roku's wise decision to rollout OS9 gradually!

I hope the auto volume is added to the 4640 and the 4400
0 Kudos
rey_1178
Level 10

"rey_1178" wrote:
"rey_1178" wrote:
I'm having an issue and hopefully someone has an idea what to do. After the last update my roku no longer senses that my TV can do HDR. Senses the 4k but not HDR. Already unplugged and rebooted. Unplugged the HDMI cable to and reconnected but still have the problem. This worked perfectly fine before OS9. 

Well I tried doing a factory reset and didn't change a thing. I don't know if to return this and get another ultra that's still on the older firmware.

Have yet to hear from roku support which is very disappointing. I went back to OS 8.1.0 4145-46  and everything works perfectly. I took snapshots but there's no way to upload those here. HDR works great on VUDU and Netflix. Don't know what I am going to do if I'm in the minority and roku just sets me aside. When everything works and doesn't after a new update then it's roku, not me. 
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"wildsprite" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:

I would feel much better knowing this information as I have been checking every day since you started this. please reply as I'm 100% certain I'm not the only one that wants to know this

Depends, the initial rollout (and subsequently rollout) can target a specific group of serial numbers or random boxes for a certain number of units by region to be updated with/without manual update enable. Each delivery cycle can be tailed in different ways.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95486&start=42#p534662
0 Kudos